Turning between centers vs. mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hi John,:)

I totally agree with you one hundred percent. I wish I could get the lathe and start turning. As I stated in my introductions, that you may or may not have read. I am three weeks post op from my second cervical spine fusion due to an injury eight or nine years ago. Unfortunately it has left my left side partially paralyzed. It may come back may not. The doctors says will know more in six to twelve months. I found a few videos on YouTube that lead me here. I am amazed at the talent and work that people have here! I know most times its about finding your own way, believe me I am forty-six and have to learn how to use a walker. Its darn hard! One foot wants to go where ever it wants to.:confused:
In a nutshell I was a member of another forum totally unrelated to woodwork. The people that had been there a while would burn you on every post it would seem. I didn't want to just lurk around here and wanted some genuine advice, and be involved in some discussions So if I offended anyone or I seemed angry I am sorry. I didn't want it to come out defensive.

Sincerely,

Rick:):)

Hello Rick

Sorry about your injury and no I did not read your intro. I usually do not read any accept if they mention they are from NJ:) Want to find out who my competition is going to be:) I am sure you will be turning and spinning out pens in no time. Just follow all the doctors rules and try to keep active.

As far as the site goes. There really are alot of helpful people here and they will go out of their way to help. It is good that you are gathering info and trying to comprehend what it takes to make a good quality pen. I am sure it has to be rewarding and also frustrating at the same time bcause you can not put into practice what you are learning. But you will get there.

In the mean time continue doing what you are doing and ask all the questions you want. With that said I again mention to you a great feature here and that is both the use of the Search box and also the use of the Google app. with those 2 things you can visit the 10000's of pages of info that has been talked about. Some of it as I mentioned gets asked many times in many different ways which at times does get abit frustrating and then what happens you have less people answering because they are tired of explaining the same things over and over. Hope you understand that part and it is nothing against you or any Newbie. When you have less people answering, things get left out or just one side of the problem is looked at. So it is always a good idea to read further.

As I also mentioned, you will find when a method is talked about in doing something, there is probably another 10 ways of doing it and people express their methods. But the truth is until you try one or 2 methods you will not know what is best for you. So keep that in mind as you gather info too.

Now lets get better and look forward to your first pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rickjake

Hi John,:)

I totally agree with you one hundred percent. I wish I could get the lathe and start turning. As I stated in my introductions, that you may or may not have read. I am three weeks post op from my second cervical spine fusion due to an injury eight or nine years ago. Unfortunately it has left my left side partially paralyzed. It may come back may not. The doctors says will know more in six to twelve months. I found a few videos on YouTube that lead me here. I am amazed at the talent and work that people have here! I know most times its about finding your own way, believe me I am forty-six and have to learn how to use a walker. Its darn hard! One foot wants to go where ever it wants to.:confused:
In a nutshell I was a member of another forum totally unrelated to woodwork. The people that had been there a while would burn you on every post it would seem. I didn't want to just lurk around here and wanted some genuine advice, and be involved in some discussions So if I offended anyone or I seemed angry I am sorry. I didn't want it to come out defensive.

Sincerely,

Rick:):)

Hello Rick

Sorry about your injury and no I did not read your intro. I usually do not read any accept if they mention they are from NJ:) Want to find out who my competition is going to be:) I am sure you will be turning and spinning out pens in no time. Just follow all the doctors rules and try to keep active.

As far as the site goes. There really are alot of helpful people here and they will go out of their way to help. It is good that you are gathering info and trying to comprehend what it takes to make a good quality pen. I am sure it has to be rewarding and also frustrating at the same time bcause you can not put into practice what you are learning. But you will get there.

In the mean time continue doing what you are doing and ask all the questions you want. With that said I again mention to you a great feature here and that is both the use of the Search box and also the use of the Google app. with those 2 things you can visit the 10000's of pages of info that has been talked about. Some of it as I mentioned gets asked many times in many different ways which at times does get abit frustrating and then what happens you have less people answering because they are tired of explaining the same things over and over. Hope you understand that part and it is nothing against you or any Newbie. When you have less people answering, things get left out or just one side of the problem is looked at. So it is always a good idea to read further.

As I also mentioned, you will find when a method is talked about in doing something, there is probably another 10 ways of doing it and people express their methods. But the truth is until you try one or 2 methods you will not know what is best for you. So keep that in mind as you gather info too.

Now lets get better and look forward to your first pens.

Thanks John:)

Wildman

Only method to my madness is K.I.S.S. when I don't Murphy's Law prevails no matter what am turning.

The kit will turn dictates whether to turn between centers or use one of my mandrels. I
own three mandrels; one PSI, and one A & one B Berea mandrels.

I turn & finish between centers with or without factory bushings and never had a problem yet. Yes, need to use digital calipers whether turning between centers or mandrel.

Use my dead center for other turnings so not a big expense, bought mine from Grizzly before ever turned a pen.

fernhills

I use the PSI collet chuck. Slide my mandrel down to one tube length with the kit bushings, tighten up the brass nut a little and turn away, till i get close, and then use calipers to bring it home. Takes as much care to use a mandrel as it does to TBC. When you learn how to do both, i see no difference. Good luck, Carl

plano_harry

Rick, I think John has covered it. You will rarely find anyone getting bashed here. My comment was not to criticize you, it was more a rhetorical comment that this question does get asked often and perhaps someone might take the time to compile the various opinions into a library article to provide a resource for new turners. I can give you 3 or 4 more opinion questions that are asked regularly if you are interested.

Because of the great work of pen pioneers before us, we have a library that is probably the best collection of articles anywhere on all aspects of how to make a pen. In addition, I find that by using the search function, I can get a lot of answers to virtually any question I have, and that is how I learned to make pens. I hope it will help you as well. Feel free to ask all the questions you want, but searches will usually get the answer quicker.

Looking forward to seeing your pens, and welcome to IAP. I am new too.

Harry

rickjake

Rick, I think John has covered it. You will rarely find anyone getting bashed here. My comment was not to criticize you, it was more a rhetorical comment that this question does get asked often and perhaps someone might take the time to compile the various opinions into a library article to provide a resource for new turners. I can give you 3 or 4 more opinion questions that are asked regularly if you are interested.

Because of the great work of pen pioneers before us, we have a library that is probably the best collection of articles anywhere on all aspects of how to make a pen. In addition, I find that by using the search function, I can get a lot of answers to virtually any question I have, and that is how I learned to make pens. I hope it will help you as well. Feel free to ask all the questions you want, but searches will usually get the answer quicke

Looking forward to seeing your pens, and welcome to IAP. I am new too.

Harry

Hi Harry, Yea I admit I was overly sensitive right after reading your comment:crying:. After reading all the posts I think it will be on a kit to kit basis. Acrylic and some softer woods will most likely turn without worry of bending the mandrel, while antler, cocobolo would most be better suited for TBC.
I don`t harbor any ill feelings towards anyone here :handshake: and appreciate your explanation better. Or I understand it better. I must say things have not been great in my life for the last five to six years. It seems easier to be defensive than think things through. That last forum, which I promised myself I will not name, was a joke. Everyone hated you if you didn`t have like three thousand post minimum! I thought " how does one get there without posting"? This other forum was just a bunch of grumpy people with their only agenda was to burn "newbs". I will say this forum has brought my spirits up and look forward to reading new post and looking at all my friends latest work. Also I consider everyone a friend here and usually post it before signing off a post. I hope no one minds? Funny and true story. On this other forum I called an elder person of the forum friend. It was WW3! Needless to say my last post and deleted my membership. I really do love it here!

Thanks Friend,:)

-Rick

ffloyd

JohnnyCNC has them listed on his website, but he's sold out. Has anyone had word from him regarding a timeline for getting back to production?

Chris Bar

Well, I forgot that TBC required special 60 degree bushings, so I just used my store bought variety. With enough pressure on the bushings, but not too much, turned like a dream and I can now forget about bushings not closely fitting the mandrel. Using the calipers, turn to the exact diameter needed so that finish will bring it up to the fitting diameter.

Without the mandrel, happy again. I can take a partially turned barrel off and put on again without concern....not that that is a common occurrence, but has happened. Not familiar with a mandrel saver, but wonder if it solves the OOR problem.

Deadhead

PSI sells the mandrel saver; it's basiclly a live center with a hole all the way though it which allows the mandrel to slide though the hole so won't bend.

As far as OOR, not sure if it helps. When I watched Barry Gross's demo @ the WWS he said that if you screw up a kit, save it and turn the ferral (?) down that is pushed into the barrel so that it slides in/out of the barrel. It is a good way to check for OOR, it has worked for me. I do mostly cigars and new series, so I bought an extra cigar kit for $5 from EB and messed up a new series mechinism and bought a whole kit and did the same. On more expensive kits I think I'll wait to screw one up first.:biggrin:

Top Bottom