Turning and finishing a segmented blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikefoye

I just purchased my first segmented blanks from Woodcraft. I was watching a Youtube video about general CA finishing and the presenter was talking about the difficulty in finishing segmented blanks (woods "bleeding" together). I have made a few items with multi-colored multiply without any problems but these were soft and cheap so I wouldn't have minded ruining one. Any tricks I should know before ruining these? I am relatively new to turning but have had good results so far with different woods and acrylics.

This is an unbelievable site and thanks for your help.

plantman

Mike; Woods don't usually "bleed" together from the finishing, but from the dust caused by cross sanding. There are several ways to prevent this from happening. 1st would be to make sure your tools are super sharp. A sharp clean cut needs no sanding. 2 If you do have bleeding of the dust from one color to another, use acetone or some other cleaner to clean off the blanks. 3 After you have turned to size, apply a thin coat of CA to seal the pores of the wood before sanding. There are many other methods used by our members as you will see be the responses that follow. Jim S

Last edited:

ugrad

I just purchased my first segmented blanks from Woodcraft. I was watching a Youtube video about general CA finishing and the presenter was talking about the difficulty in finishing segmented blanks (woods "bleeding" together). I have made a few items with multi-colored multiply without any problems but these were soft and cheap so I wouldn't have minded ruining one. Any tricks I should know before ruining these? I am relatively new to turning but have had good results so far with different woods and acrylics.

This is an unbelievable site and thanks for your help.

Use plenty of sanding sealer, then sand, when you have sanded through the sealer apply more and keep doing the same, it also works if you are segmenting aluminium with wood.

Regards
Peter

Top Bottom