Turners with back problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

Okay I'll I'm pretty sure this is the correct forum for this. I know I'm not quite as experienced as it comes to age as others but I do have my fair share of spinal issues. I've recently re-injured my back which has led to less time in the shop than I would like. My question is what do you fellow Turner's use to alleviate back issues while turning. I have a concrete garage floor that I stand on and turning. Specifically does anybody use one of those stress relieving pressure relieving mats to stand on while working in the shop and do they work? Thanks all

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

I have a hard rubber mat from a surplus/unclaimed freight on my concrete floor. On top of that I have the cheap 'put together' mats from Harbor freight. Together, they have relieved most of my back pain when turning.
I have found that taking care of my feet has also helped to remove the pain of standing. Good inserts in above average shoes do make a difference.

And when I still have pain, I take 2 Aleve. This is the only pain medication I take as my doctor has me on a handfull of pills morning and night. Mostly, blood thinners and heart meds.

Wayne

turncrazy43

I use the rubber mats on the floor they seem to help. Also have an adjustable chair for the bad days as well as prescription pain meds. If That doesn't work I go sit for a spell. That's about all one can do I believe. Some get back braces.

mchech

I stand on a rubber mat and wear good shoes. My Jet 1221 spindle height is above my elbow so there is absolutely no bending over. I have a shop stool that is rather high and I do not hesitate to use it. There is no substitute for knowing your limits. A little bit of turning is better than none at all. Standing at the lathe is just a fraction of what it takes to make pens. If it starts to hurt, sit and do something else.

Ironwood

You need to make sure you have your lathe set at the right height for you, otherwise working at your lathe will make your back worse.
I found years ago that the stand that came with my first lathe was about 4 inches too low for me and was causing issues with my back if I stayed at the lathe for too long.

I would have a few thoughts to share. First, make sure that your lathe is at a comfortable height for the project you are working on. Pens and other small items require a lot closer work and for that, the lathe should be higher from an ergonomics standpoint. What works for bowl and platter turning isn't going to be best for pens. I have hiked my small lathe up to chest height and it works great for relieving back stress. Spending time hunched over, even moderately will stress the back muscles. I have a hanging bar in my shop so I can hang on it like I am going to do a pull up (no I don't do those anymore) and hang with my spine relaxed for a minute now and then. That and some stretching and strengthening exercises help counteract the stress of turning. I also find a thick rubber mat helpful, but if you want to save a little money, get two of the little carpet remnants (short pile) and put them face to face and use duct tape around the edge. It works surprisingly well as a cushioning surface.

Hope these thoughts help.

KenV

Tall shop stool for most of the turning. Stay out of the line of fire, and with elbows closer to the body (none of the seagull wing stuff) you can have good control. Keep your back nice and straight and move with the shoulders slowly to help control the tool movement.

Shorter handles help me for turning while seated. You can do larger stuff but pens are pretty straight forward. I am mostly using skews and fingertip ground gouges and I am working more from the tail stock side toward the headstock or vice versa depending on the lead hand being used.

If you are in horse country -- the Tractor Supply or similar stores have floor pads for horse stalls that work for softening impact at a low cost. It that works, it is better than being welded to a stool.

Jim Burr

Banned
If you want to go a different way Ty, I think it's Oneway that makes a "sit down" lathe...for lack of better memory on my part. Could be an option.

ChrisN

Anti-fatigue mats. Wouldn't be without them. Expensive, but well worth it, IMHO. HF recently had a sale/coupon (maybe still does?) on their anti-fatigue mats. I got a pack to supplement my existing mat, and I don't have anything bad to say about them yet. Good, cheap mats - about 16 sq. ft for less than $10 (IIRC).

Tom T

Anti fatigue mats are great for me. And good shoes. Concert is killer on the back. Some home made matts can be a trip hazard. Store bought ones with a tapered edge have been helpful.

mlconnelly

My back rarely allows me to sit (it makes things worse). So I have anti-fatigue mats in the shop (and at my desk) and I wear Brooks Beast shoes all the time. It took me a month to get used to them and now they are the only shoes I wear. I also walk several miles every day and do lots of stretches that my physical therapist recommended. Massage therapy also helps quite a bit.

robutacion

I have to say that, all the above advice is applicable and effective but, I read a few people make a quick mention to the footwear they use and while individual body weight may affect its results, I found that, covering all the floor surfaces where I work, would be just too expensive (both workshop and lolly-shop) so, I considered what I could wear on my feet that would be there, regardless where I go and the answer was "Crocs" not the imitation but the real thing that one can get for about $50.

Sure, they are not a fashion statement, nor the best thing to wear in very cold environments, something that a good pair of socks and a oversized shoe size wouldn't fix however, for a 120kg body size like mine, with a spine that has due pass its ware, these cushion "sandals" have been one of the best things I ever put on my feet, so much so that, I wear nothing else all year around, one working pair and one to go out pair, I get about 1 year out of the work-pair as I use it everyday, not because they break apart but from the squashing/cushion capabilities of the rubber, while the go out pair is sometimes untouched for weeks at the time so, $50 investment every year to allow me to stand up and walk around, for whatever the time my legs and back allows, is a worthing investment.

This type:

http://solecentral.com.au/crocs-crocband-ii-5-clog-black-
charcoal

PS: it seems that they actually make winter shoes/boots with the same sole...!

Cheers
George

jyreene

Thanks for the advice all. I believe the lathe is about the right height. I do plan on getting a dedicated lathe stand but the bench it's mounted to is close to the same height. I am good on shoes. I learned years ago that shoes matter but for my back the more cushion the shoe has the worse my back is.

I'll head to HF and see if they still have those mats. Seems the best solution for now. I do have a stool so I'll also just learn how to turn while sitting when I can't stand.

Okay I'll I'm pretty sure this is the correct forum for this. I know I'm not quite as experienced as it comes to age as others but I do have my fair share of spinal issues. I've recently re-injured my back which has led to less time in the shop than I would like. My question is what do you fellow Turner's use to alleviate back issues while turning. I have a concrete garage floor that I stand on and turning. Specifically does anybody use one of those stress relieving pressure relieving mats to stand on while working in the shop and do they work? Thanks all

I have a rubber mat that I stand on... it's about 1 inch thick with holes in it... from Lowe's or Home Depot... have forgotten which... I used it when I had a concrete floor in Houston... my shop here in Tennessee has a wood floor, but I still use the mat... after a couple of hours of standing, the ol' knees start to ache and the mat does help..... Woodcraft has a foam mat that will run about the length of a 40+ inch lathe that looks good.

Top Bottom