Turned Banks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wildman

Wildman

After turning all those magnificent projects and selling them for big profits you will need a place to keep your cool cash. So here you go!

Sorry about picture quality, using that point aim and pray method of taking pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 169

Wildman

The body is Oak, top and bottom spalted Oak only 3 1/2 "high and about 2 ½" at widest at sides top and bottom 2 ¼"" . I was asked to make some more of these, one shown just to get me back into how to do them.

Can use any wood you have available. I prefer blank be 3" or more in diameter. Length not a problem because can reverse the blanks to drill and thin wall thickness with spindle gouge. I do leave a lip top and bottom for support and gluing.

When first starting making these used brass coin slots and little brass nails to attach over opening in top. I was not smart enough to install brass coin slot before gluing top in bank. So nail and glue on before gluing into bank. Brass coin slots hide a lot of sins. Cannot find where bought them, prices have gone up a bunch. I like the red rubber over the black plastic plugs, easier to make bottoms.

Photo of penny bank is first one made back in 1994. Used Cherry wood measures 4 ½" diameter x 3 ½" high. I owned a drill chuck, everything done on faceplates and waste blocks. Used a wood chisel to cut the coin slot. The white stuff you see is pumice used to finish the finish.

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom