Turncrafter VS Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsmithmarcus

I am new to pen turning. I purchased the Turncrafter Commander 10" VS from PSI. I turned 12-15 Slimline pens with no problems. However, now my lathe will not maintain a constant speed. Even with nothing on the lathe the speed fluctuates a great deal. Could this be a bad speed controller?
Any help would be great! I checked the connections, belt etc. all seems ok.:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Never owned a TurnCrafter myself. But your description indicates a real problem. You should call PSI tech service and describe your problem. They will be able to advise you the problem and will likely help you solve the problem with advise and new parts as needed.

eupher58

By all means call 'em! For all that PSI doesn't get right, their service techs are top notch. Had a similar problem, last year, they'll walk you through it to diagnose the problem, and as long as you're under warranty, send you whatever parts you need

randyrls

However, now my lathe will not maintain a constant speed. Even with nothing on the lathe the speed fluctuates a great deal. Could this be a bad speed controller?
Any help would be great! I checked the connections, belt etc. all seems ok.:frown:

Jeff; Welcome! It is likely the speed controller POT (dial). These can get saw dust in the pot and contact to be intermittent. The same thing can happen with the ON/OFF switch.

Grampy122

Changing Speed

I had the same problem with the 12" Turncrafter Commander. I called tech support and he sent me a new speed controller. When I replaced the old one with the new one I still had the same problem. I removed the end cap on the motor and found that the pickup was rubbing on the interrupter disk. I recentered the pickup and have not had a problem since.

Janster

...my guess is the "brushes". They need to be replaced or adjusted. Good luck............Jan

If you bought it new.

I am new to pen turning. I purchased the Turncrafter Commander 10" VS from PSI. I turned 12-15 Slimline pens with no problems. However, now my lathe will not maintain a constant speed. Even with nothing on the lathe the speed fluctuates a great deal. Could this be a bad speed controller?
Call and explain your problem. The will send you a replacement part.It's a bad controller

SDB777

Welcome aboard!!!!

Sorry to hear about the lathe acting up. Sure glad I got the Jet VS1220 and dint have to go through that.

Scott B

Top Bottom