Turncrafter Midi Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warthog

I am having some real issues with this lathe. I have been using a dedicated chuck for drilling my pen blanks...but for some reason it is now way out of whack. Is it the chuck or is it the lathe. I have a nasty feeling that the bearings are going bad. How do you tell if the b earings need replacing?:crying:

Rangertrek

Look for any excessive heat on the hand wheel.
Squealing sounds, unusual noises in the head stock.

If it is the bearings, you can probably find replacements at a bearing supply company. Some of the lathes use bearings the same size as atv bearings and are commonly in stock. I replaced my Delta with new bearings that were better and less costly from a local bearing supply.

Check the chuck to see if you have any damage on the morse taper or any debris inside the tapers.

warthog

This dedicated chuck is a screw on model...it doesn't use the morse taper. I think I will replace the bearings anyway. At least that part will be done. Thanks for your help Rangertrek.

Xander

what do you mean by "out of whack'?

If you mean off center...... Have you had the jaws off? They are not identical. There is a number on the jaws. 1 and 2, and corresponding numbers on the chuck body. The jaws must go back in the correct position... numbers matching. DAMHIKT :biggrin:

Top Bottom