Tunisia inspired clicker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I was working in Tunisia ( North Africa ) last week and two things stood out......
The first was, like most African countries, is the use of very bright colours they use to decorate just about everything. The other thing that really amazed me was the incredible amount of Olive trees. The groves stretch for hundreds and hundreds of miles across the arid landscape. I took three flights and a 6 1/2 hr train journey while there. The groves just dissapear over the horizon. Anyway, I bought an olivewood board ( think it was for cheese ) and this is what I came up with. The scallops are edged with brass. I changed the direction from the middle. I'm pretty pleased how it turned out and SWMBO loves it:biggrin:

Attachments

• TunSeg.JPG
    TunSeg.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 318
  • TunSeg1.jpg
    TunSeg1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 253
  • TunSeg2.jpg
    TunSeg2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 209
  • TunSeg3.jpg
    TunSeg3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 188
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Everything everybody else said, plus, where do you find the time? It would take me 3 weeks to begin to replicate even a very feeble effort to duplicate what you have done here. WOW!!

philb

Another excellent pen!

Trying to work out the how you did the scallops, must of take a fair amount of gluing and a lot of little pieces of PR. But then a good way to use up the offcuts from the end of the blanks!

PHIL

Buzzzz4

Very cool. I just had a request for these colors on a pen except with just red, yellow and green for a panafrican flare. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for the nice comments:biggrin:

Very nice. Great effect, now you want to tell us how you did it?

Hans, it was actually easier than you might think. The only tricky part was changing the direction.

I used a compound table over the lathe bed. I mounted a router on the table so that the cutter would pass over the blank. The router was mounted at 45deg with a wide straight bit ( I just needed the 90 deg corner and pure point bits are too exspensive )
There are 19 scallops. 10 is the middle red one. From one end I just cut the first groove and glued in the piece of pr. Next just index the blank 1/12th rev. Advance the table for the next cut and so on until the first 9 were done. The brass was pre- glued to each piece before they were set in.
Then I carefully advanced the index on the lathe to cut the 19th groove and likewise advanced the compound table to suit. It was a simple case of working backwards until I ended up back in the middle to do the 10th cut.
Only the 10th one has brass on both edges. I did draw it out first and work out how much to index and move the table so that the pattern would fit in the blank.:biggrin: Easy huh??:biggrin:

VisExp

That is really nice Steven. I love the colors. I've not been to North Africa, is there more use of vibrant color there than in South(ern) Africa?

PR_Princess

Beautiful Steven!! Just as you had described. Olive really does seem to lead itself well in combining with PR....at least in your capable hands!!! :biggrin::tongue:

I think that you and Keith should get together on a SA design.... Now that wouldn't that be cool?:wink::cool:

Rollerbob

I think that you and Keith should get together on a SA design.... Now that wouldn't that be cool?:wink::cool:[/quote]

Yea, what Dawn is trying to say!:wink::biggrin:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
WOW. Another winner. I can't add much more to what already has been said. Absolutely beautiful!

hewunch

Steven you lost me at "I used a..." :p
You guys with your routers attached to your lathes amaze me. One of these days.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is really nice Steven. I love the colors. I've not been to North Africa, is there more use of vibrant color there than in South(ern) Africa?

Keith, I don't think they are quiet as vibrant as the Ndebele tribe of the southern countries and I didn't see multi coloured houses. They don't seem to have a distinct style of their own. It's a strange mix of Arabic - French - African. I've no idea what they call it.:confused:

Dawn, I can't do a pen with Keith:mad: Cos he's a 'When-we' :tongue: Not South African:biggrin:

Top Bottom