Tube paint question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I know this is already answered some where on the site.

What type of paint is best for painting brass tubes and inside of blanks? I need white or light colors.

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

For quite some time now I am using Testor model paint. Before I used sharpies and paint markers from Sanford. I found that the Testor paint works very well. It comes also in a wide variety of colors and they have also some flat paints. So far, I have had no problems and I used it for about 50 pens. The paint I apply with a small brush inside the blank and out side the tube. I use two coats each. The paint must dry over night, especially inside the blank it may take quite some time to dry I found. Make sure you drill the blanks a tad wider, if the unpainted tube already fits snug inside the blank, it won't go in after the painting.
Normally, I drill 1/64 larger. To glue the painted tube inside the painted blank I use only 5 min epoxy from Devcon - great stuff. Have heard that someone is mixing the paint also in the glue - have not done this yet.

fiferb

Cheap spray paint from the big box stores. I spray it inside the blanks and then roll it around to make sure it is covered. Then I spray the tubes. I also use the Testors model paints when I need something colored differently. When I use Testors I use a Q-Tip. Paint the tubes first, then inside the blank.

OKLAHOMAN

I'm one that will mix my Epoxy with the same color paint that I painted the tubes and inside the blank. I find that when I do this it helps to hide voids in the clue,especially in cactus.

Originally posted by Rudy Vey

Have heard that someone is mixing the paint also in the glue - have not done this yet.

Ligget

I use nail varnish, I bought a big box of every colour imaginable, there must be 60 little bottles in all.

Bought it on ebay a while ago!:)

Ligget

Originally posted by fiferb

I use nail varnish, I bought a big box of every colour imaginable, there must be 60 little bottles in all.

Bought it on ebay a while ago!

A likely story. What color are your toenails?[}:)]:D

This week they are a lovely shade of olive, but I can`t wait to try the shocking pink! [:X];):D

Santa

Reminds me of the time I tried powder coating Rudolph's hooves. He wasn't too happy with the results. Oh well.

tbird

When painting tubes, do you still rough up the tubes? Before or after painting?

It seems a lot of you paint tubes and don't have any problems, it just seems like the glue wouldn't adhere as well. I have a few acrylics that I want to experiment with but don't want to waste them.[:p]

Marcia

randyrls

Originally posted by tbird

When painting tubes, do you still rough up the tubes? Before or after painting?

It seems a lot of you paint tubes and don't have any problems, it just seems like the glue wouldn't adhere as well. I have a few acrylics that I want to experiment with but don't want to waste them.[:p]

Marcia

Rough the tubes before painting to give the paint something to stick to.

Top Bottom