tube coloring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

Talking with another pen turner the subject of painting tubes came up. My thought is to add pearl-ex powder to the two part epoxy before I insert the tubes. I did one on a trial basis and it appears to be OK. Has anyone else tried this method of coloring tubes and had any bad results??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

The key is to color the blank and to do that is to paint the inside after it was drilled. Use a good quality of paint and no painting of tubes or tinting of adhesive would be necessary. Some people like to add suspenders to the same pants they wear a belt with so extra protection is the thought there. Done many times and many threads on this topic can be found here.

tomtedesco

The key is to color the blank and to do that is to paint the inside after it was drilled. Use a good quality of paint and no painting of tubes or tinting of adhesive would be necessary. Some people like to add suspenders to the same pants they wear a belt with so extra protection is the thought there. Done many times and many threads on this topic can be found here.

When you paint inside the blank do you use a spray paint or brush? More than one coat?

jttheclockman

When you paint inside the blank do you use a spray paint or brush? More than one coat?

Some do it either way. I use Testors acyrlic paints. I use a q-tip and yes I do more than one coat. There are many threads on this topic here. I will tell you this is my method and has worked for me for many years. Others can explain their methods too.

I drill the blank and always make sure there is room and the tube slips through easily. I roll a piece of 400 grit sandpaper up so I can insert in the hole and sand the drill bit marks. I blow the dust out and inspect. I find the appropriate colored paint for the blank and do my painting. I wait over night before I insert the tube. I make sure the tube slides in easily. If so I rough the tube and use System III T88 epoxy glue to glue my tube in. Never have to worry about tube getting stuck before I get it in. I must say that I also plug the ends of the tube with Play-do Get that at any kids store and goes a looooong way. I do not add paint to epoxy or paint the tubes. never had a problem.

As I mentione others use different paints and different methods. No right or wrong way jut your way. Good luck.

Top Bottom