tube abrasives

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

The most recent tubes from PSI for some seam rippers were rough, not smooth like they used to be. I wonder if their newer pen tubes are like that and if so would you still rough them up before gluing them in the blank?
Montmill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use CA, but I quit roughing up tubes long ago. I do let the glue cure at least overnight though.

Charlie69

I buff the shine off the tube with 400 or so grit and wipe down with some sort of de-greaser; DNA, naptha, acetone-whatever's handy. It's going overboard but I spend a lot of time working with various epoxies when working with composites and there is no doubt that it bonds better to a clean no gloss surface. Fwiw that goes for most adhesives I'm familiar with.

Sabaharr

Latest Shipment of Gatbsy pens I got in from PSI had pre roughed tubes. I always rough mine if they aren't pre done. I have had too many spin loose on me on the lathe. I either have them set as soon as I put them in the blank and not go in all the way (cured that by using only epoxy now) or they spun off as mentioned before (cured with roughing, and using epoxy). Haven't had a problem since. That being said I will go home tonight and mess up a whole batch.

csr67

I'm a firm believer in roughing up the tubes to provide more tooth for CA or Epoxy to bond to. I can rough up a batch in a just a minute buy chucking them on my mandrel, using CA bushings, and spin them for a few seconds while I drag a strip of 150 gr. sanding cloth across the tube. After that a quick wipe down with denatured alcohol and I'm ready for glue up.

Skie_M

The funline pens I've been getting are still smooth ... as are the standard type keychain kits. Everything else I've gotten has all had pre-roughed tubes.

It's general consensus from what I've seen online that you want to use a rough grade of sandpaper to rough the tube up .... I hear everything between 120 and 320. I use 220, as that's the roughest paper I ever bring to my lathe.

I hear that 400 is just too fine a grit, but if you're using epoxy it might not make a difference. :)

Top Bottom