Trying new shapes...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

After seeing the slimline that Nancy did with the interesting middle, I (of course) ran out to the shop and tried the same concept... and pretty much failed [xx(]

I think it is the subtle nature of the turnings that makes them look nice, as Nancys slimline does... and I tend to overdo it...

.... but I am learning!

Here's the gang from yesterday... there was one more but a friend visiting the wife got that one before I could get a shot of it...

Kinda liked the lower barrel... but the top is KaKa...
DW-08-27-06.jpg

Same lower barrel, but decided to match the lower and upper barrels and see how it looked... better than the first one I think...
DW2-08-27-06.jpg

Said to heck with it, and tried it with a bead... I did figure out what it was with the pics I didn't like... so changed the angle of the camera and took away one of the lights, and it seems like the camera can focus better now... and I like the lower angle...

Anyhoo, sure had fun [:p]
DW3-08-27-06.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jssmith3

Mark, I really like the beaded one so if you don't like it then you should send it to me for further inspection ok. (please!!!) Some day I hope to be able to do beads on my pens.
Janet :)

Scott

Hi Mark!

The first one doesn't do much for me. It seems unbalanced in some way. The second one is very nice, a classic shape! The third one is special! It has a nice flowing shape to it. I'd say you did well!

Scott.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I thk you did great on all three though the slip on the top looks a little off.
YOu might consider ordering the "fancy slimlines" with a more streamlined clip.
It also allows a larger barrel on the top.

Woodnknots

I really like the beaded one as well! You may consider removing the clip altogether (I've done that on some tops that were a big larger than I intended), since with that much pen under the clip, the clip is worthless anyway. You'd never get that clipped on a shirt[:D]. Removing the clip also opens up new possibilities. Call it a purse pen if anyone asks why it doesn't have a clip![:p]

Woodnknots

BTW, I looked at some of the bowls on your site, very nice!

I think the mystery wood bowl is spalted hickory (pecan, maybe?). I've turned a little, and have some waiting to be turned that I rescued from a fire pile.

emackrell

What fun pens! Just seeing them made me smile. I especially love the third one. If I saw it in person I would try to flick the beads to see if they would spin. Agree that it does not particularly need a clip.

Interestingly, the first one reminds me of some types of African woodcarvings -- the combination of elongated shape and the figure you got from the turning. In fact I bet if you made up a card for it giving a fictitious tribal history for this particular shape the collectors would elbow each other out of the way to get to it. [;)][}:)]

cheers Eileen [8D]

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by Scott
<br />Hi Mark!

The first one doesn't do much for me. It seems unbalanced in some way. The second one is very nice, a classic shape! The third one is special! It has a nice flowing shape to it. I'd say you did well!

Scott.

Yep.... the upper barrel looks weird... still thinking on how to make the upper barrel flow into the lower barrel... which I like [:D]

Scott

Originally posted by Marc Phillips
<br />

Yep.... the upper barrel looks weird... still thinking on how to make the upper barrel flow into the lower barrel... which I like [:D]

Hi Mark!

Don't do anything with it! Keep it around and use it, and every time you do, think "What does that Scott guy know, anyway!" [:D]

Try turning a couple of slimlines without the centerband. That should free you up a bit on your design options! Then try turning your own centerband out of some contrasting material. Even more design options! Good Luck!

Scott.

Marc Phillips

<br />
<br />

Hi Mark!

Don't do anything with it! Keep it around and use it, and every time you do, think "What does that Scott guy know, anyway!" [:D]

Try turning a couple of slimlines without the centerband. That should free you up a bit on your design options! Then try turning your own centerband out of some contrasting material. Even more design options! Good Luck!

Scott.

I'd like to try that... I'll look around and see what instructions I can find on that... Great idea, thanks!

Scott

<br />

I'd like to try that... I'll look around and see what instructions I can find on that... Great idea, thanks!

Hi Marc,

Here's a link to an article here on IAP that addresses making your own centerbands:

http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

You have to read through the first part, and then the centerband stuff is kind of in a second article later on.

Scott.

Marc Phillips

<br />
<br />

Hi Marc,

Here's a link to an article here on IAP that addresses making your own centerbands:

http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

You have to read through the first part, and then the centerband stuff is kind of in a second article later on.

Scott.

I think I understand.... all but one thing...

What do you put on the mandrel to hold the wood centerband while you turn it?

The wood centerband is going to have an approximate 1/4" hole so that it snugly fits the mechanism, but is the mandrel the same size as the mechanism?

Thanks

EDIT - Ok... the mandrel is the same diameter as the mechanism.... how convenient! [:D]

.... and the length of the pen can vary as long as the upper barrel can engage the mechanism to twist the pen in and out eh?

This could be fun [:p]

Scott

Hi Marc,

You've got it! A lot of people will glue in short pieces of brass tubes to lend strength and consistency to the hole inthe centerband. I've never found the need to do that, but I also acknowledge the merits of doing so. Sometimes if you're using a soft material, the hole can deform, or if you're using a brittle material you'll get cracks. If this is an ongoing problem, make three or four centerbands for each pen, and throw away the ones you don't like. After making pens for a while you'll end up with a bucket of small cut-offs of different materials. And you can change a pen's personality by switching centerbands.

You may also want to check out Russ's site. He is a true master, and has some wonderful suggestions on his site.

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/

Scott.

PS - I saw that slimline you just did with the nice turned centerband. Excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom