Tru-stone shaving brushes and a Mach 3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from turbowagon

turbowagon

I took some photos of my first shaving brushes and razor. Thanks to Tony from Penworks/Golden Nib for the inspiration, advice, and supplies!

IMG_7179.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Beautiful job Joe! Did you have any problems with the brushes, fitting to handle, or any other traps. My next step is to make one with the red trustone to complete my son's present.

turbowagon

Thanks! Everything went smoothly. This particular knot (24mm grade A silvertip) fit perfectly into a 1" forstner hole about 3/4" deep. After doing some test fitting with holes drilled in a 2x4, I mounted the tru-stone in a chuck and drilled the hole on the lathe (starting with smaller bits and working my way up to the 1" bit). Next I drilled a smaller hole, and tapped it for my bottle stopper mandrel.

Thanks Joe. Does the fit have to be real tight? Do you think under cutting the cavity rim a little to give room for epoxy and prevent pull out would help?

Thanks! Everything went smoothly. This particular knot (24mm grade A silvertip) fit perfectly into a 1" forstner hole about 3/4" deep. After doing some test fitting with holes drilled in a 2x4, I mounted the tru-stone in a chuck and drilled the hole on the lathe (starting with smaller bits and working my way up to the 1" bit). Next I drilled a smaller hole, and tapped it for my bottle stopper mandrel.

turbowagon

The brushes taper quite a bit at the base, so it doesn't have to be a super tight fit for the base, the hair spreads out and fits tightly at the opening.

I didn't do any undercutting, but it sounds like a good idea. I would widen the hole a bit at the base (not the rim), so that once the epoxy cures, it won't be able to pull out. That's probably what you meant, but I wanted to clarify.

turbowagon

If you're anxious at all about the process, you can always go through the procedure with a piece of scrap wood before you use the tru-stone blank. (That's what I did)

Top Bottom