Tru-Stone Info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Is there somewhere that explains the detailed process of making Tru-Stone. I can find the basic statement of what it is all over the place, but I can't find details anywhere. I guess I just want to know because I'm a nerd, and want to actually understand the material I'm using/selling.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

I tried to find out this info before, and have emailed one of the companies that make the tru-stone. Although they wouldn't tell me how it was made, for obvious reason they did inform me about the rock that was used. As one of my issue was whether they where using genuine ore form the stone the blank represented. So was the stone ore used in a turquoise blank actually turquoise.

There response said that;
Quote - " The approx. 85% stone ore is a combination of ground up natural stone, but not the natural ore of the stone. "

Don't know whether this is what you wanted, but was what I found out when I was intrigued by the tru-stone and haven't had chance to update my previous thread on it so posting it here!

PHIL

Wheaties

Phil, thanks for the response. It's iteresting that we can not find out more detailed info about it. RandB Crafts lists this, which is what you have said I think:

"Tru-Stone is manufactured from approximately 85% natural stone ore that has been pulverized to a powder and then mixed with pigments and acrylic resin. It is then compressed into blocks and cut to size. The finished product is a material that resembles the natural stone but can be turned and machined with standard wood tools. Each color varies in hardness"

Anyway, any more info would be much appreciated!

philb

Yeh saw he had that I wanted to know off them if the stone ore they used was the actual stone ore that represent the blank. But apparently its just a general ore, not specific to individual stones.

seawolf

Minerals like chrysocolla and howlite are used to make fake turquoise. Sometimes, turquoise is dyed and stabilized with resins to produce a harder stone that keep its color and polish. It's been found that plastic impregnation, sometimes with dye, improves durability and color. Reconstituted turquoise can be made from chips and "chalk." Dyes and plastic resins are added. Very few pieces of turquoise can, without enhancements, be highly polished, so most turquoise has been enhanced. Even high quality stones have their surfaces coated with paraffin wax, which seals them and enhances their polish.

This may be the raw minerals used.
Lapidary is another hobby of mine.
Mark

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Is there somewhere that explains the detailed process of making Tru-Stone. I can find the basic statement of what it is all over the place, but I can't find details anywhere. I guess I just want to know because I'm a nerd, and want to actually understand the material I'm using/selling.

I doubt you will find more information than you already have unless you
A) get a job with the manufacturer or
B) get a court order

Top Bottom