Tru Stone Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

radomsr

Anyone know if a finish should be applied to a trustone blank. Maybe just wax. I was worried about oils in hands breaking down or getting into the material.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Others will have a longer time-frame than I, but I have some about 12 months old (friends/relatives that I see often enough) and there has not been any issues.

I first used acrylic Friction polish, but more recently a Maquire's Automotive Scratch remover/polish and I LOVE it. Great on Alumilite, PR, etc.

Have FUN!

TonyL

MM to 12k then Meguires 105 and 205 followed by Rejex auto/boat/aircraft synthetic wax. The same process I used for CA finish.

radomsr

TrueStone

Thanks guys. Just what I thought.

When finished I'll try to post pics. If I can figure this out. I'm new to this blogging thing.

keithbyrd

I sand to 1200, MM through the set, Hut's Ultra and Ren Wax - never had a problem - still using a TruStone pen I made 4 years ago and except for an occasional hand buffing with a soft cloth - looks great!

TonyL

I just used the Meguiars 105 and 205 after using Novus 3 and 2 and Plastx. Two small apps of 105, followed by two small coats of 205 at 1100 to 1300 rpms (and cotton t-shirt patch) and no scratches under 10 magnification. Sanded up to the teal MM. I really wish some of these other products would work for me. I own about 10 different ones.

I do not use a separate finish on TS, but I have observed that it does develop a slightly less glossy finish than CA. Hardly noticeable but if you use CA to repair, say, a piece of TS that breaks off the blank because you're a dummy turner, the part of the blank that was coated with CA will polish up ever so slightly glossier than the bare TS.......DAMHIKT

radomsr

Truestone arrrg

Well guys finished my blank with Hut's Ultra and Ren Wax (Keiths sugg). Looked purty good, until I pressed it. As you can imagine I ended up with a small crack in it. Yes I chamfered the inside edge of tube and cleaned out inside of tube with brass bottle brush so that it was perfectly clean. Measured difference btwn tube and part. Part was .006" larger than tube. Wonder if this is too much for this material. Second time now out of maybe a dozen. Starting to get discouraged about using this material. I'm going to try to save the hardware and use a stabilized/dyed hardwood instead.

Top Bottom