Tru-stone Americana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mr Vic

Mr Vic

A lady wanted a pen for her friend who will receive her PH.D. tommorrow. Her discipline cowl color is light blue. As I flipped through some catalogs for materal ideas I saw some Turquoise Tru-stone...What better material for a life time acheivement. To keep the simple elegance I chose an Rhodium Americana fountain pen. After ready about everything I could find on turning tru-stone and with visions of burning out my grinder to keep an edge I went for broke. It actually turned very easy. The next leep of faith was taking it to be laser engraved by some one I had never meet and who's work was un known. My trepedation diminished to nothing when the first thing he asked for was a scrap of the material to test/practice on. Did I mention that I had as yet not meet the customer other then by phone and email? Well I think it turned out great and she loved it. Hope to hear soon how the recipiant liked it....What do you all think?

Attachments

• Gina PhD Pen 1 Low.jpg
    Gina PhD Pen 1 Low.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Gina PhD Pen 2 Low.jpg
    Gina PhD Pen 2 Low.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 166
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

A good looking pen that should be appreciated. My only comment would be the colour fill on the engraving is very hard to see on the photo. Hopefully in your hand it is much clearer. Haven't tried truestone yet but from what I hear it is not easy so all I can say is great job.

Mr Vic

Color fill

The color fill does show better in natural light...The flash caused a glare which overpowers it. I was pleasantly supprised that this drilled and turned with ease..very soft....has a distinct epoxy oder when it gets warm. Got the blank from CUSA..Think my next try will be a malachite.

Top Bottom