Tru-Oil Gunstock Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Parrott

I'm still a novice when it comes to wood turning at just over a year. A customer just wrote to me asking if I had ever tried Tru-Oil as a turning finish. I have not tried it. From what I've seen on the net with a few short Google searches it's primarily a modified Tung oil wiping finish for gun stocks and musical instruments.

I'm asking those more experienced than I for opinions on this product.

TRU-OIL STOCK FINISH | Brownells

Thanks for the help.
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

I've used Tru Oil on a rifle stock, but not on turnings. I'd read about wiping the stock down using a cloth damp with ArmorAll (can provide a link if interested) between coats. It really helped with curing the finish. I was able to get about 9 or 10 coats on in an afternoon. Now I'm wondering about seeing if what I have left is any good and trying it as a finish.

dogcatcher

I've used Tru Oil on a rifle stock, but not on turnings. I'd read about wiping the stock down using a cloth damp with ArmorAll (can provide a link if interested) between coats. It really helped with curing the finish. I was able to get about 9 or 10 coats on in an afternoon. Now I'm wondering about seeing if what I have left is any good and trying it as a finish.

I tried the Armor All on a small turning, then tried it on a large piece of wood, the result was better on the larger surface. I was not impressed with the result on a small turning. I think using Tru-Oil on pens is best if used as instructed. If you want a real gunstock type finish research Frank Whiton gunstock finish.

Top Bottom