Troubleshooting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tage

As I stated in an earlier thread, I'm new to casting. My first attempt was a fail. Here's the process I used: Painted a Sierra tube white with Krylon spray paint. Dry 24 hours. Afix waterside decal on tube. Dry 24 hours. Cast in Castin Craft (I'm assuming this is PR), in a resin saver mold. Dry 24 hours. (An aside, man does that stuff stink!). The decal looks great through the PR, but on the other side, where the paint was not covered by the decal, it bubbled up.

I have a tendency to overcomplicate things, but the only way I could think to get the white lettering on the decal was to use a clear decal on a white tube. I thought using white decal paper would look sloppy (thought I prefer the look of a black tube).

Any suggestions to prevent the paint from bubbling? Would some type of clear coat over the paint prevent this?
Thanks for any input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I think it was last year when the CnC PR formula changed. No luck with any Testors product but I have had good results with Rustoleum High Temp stuff. I have no idea if it comes in white. The guys that use powder coated tube may check in.

Last edited:

PTownSubbie

I recommend if you are looking for white, you just get some white tubes. These are smooth and look great and will not be affected by the heat or chemical reaction of the resin.....

They are not that much more expensive than regular tubes.

Tage

Jim & Fred,
Thanks for the advice. I may try the white (or silver, I think that would look better) tubes. I may also try using self adhesive labels to go all the way around the tube and then seal the ink.
Dave

alphageek

Former Moderator
Put me as a +1 for finding white tubes.

I buy white, chrome and black nickel tubes for any kits I can find. I use them for acrylics as its better than painting.

Top Bottom