Triton Kit Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJ2759

I picked up a couple of Triton Pen Kits from Woodcraft, they are the roller ball kits. When I examined the tubes the top larger tube is longer than the smaller lower tube. The doesn't seem right and the instructions say the lower tub should be longer. Both kits are the same. I bought extra tubes and they are the same lengths as the ones in the kit....am I missing something?
Thanks
Dale J

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJ2759

Triton

Okay, then I have issues because both kits and the extra tubes I bought the upper tubes are longer, about a 16th of an inch than the lower tubes. Does anyone have a new Triton kit that they can check?

Silverado

The upper tube is bit longer than the lower tube on a Triton. I just checked a new kit.

butchf18a

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/price/kits/pdf/Triton(1).pdf

Triton is a Berea kit, they supply Woodcraft. If the instruction link doesn't answer your questions, call Berea (eastern time zone) and ask for Joe (designer, engineer, machinist)

Phone: (216) 898-8956
Toll Free: 1-877-736-5487
Fax: (216) 898-8962
Email: customerservice@bereahardwoods.com

that aside, if you plan to make a bunch, Arizona Sihloette or Berea directly will get you much better pricing.

jmoicbw-bidi

DJ2759

Triton

Thanks, I'll have to call him because I have another issue. The upper tube calls for a 12.5mm and the lower a 10.5mm. Drilled and the tubes are incredibly loose, the upper mostly, I think it should be a 12mm. The lower is loose but tolerable. The blank is high end so I used a lot of thick CA to put it in and aligned the tube. Anyone else have this problem?
I have turned a lot of pens, not a novice, but this is the first time trying a Triton and I'm perplexed by the wrong instructions and now it appears the tube sizes are wrong.
I'm I missing something?

reiddog1

I just made two Tritons this weekend. Used 12.5mm and 10.5mm. All was good with mine. Is the hole large on one end than the other? Are you drilling with DP or lathe? Are you using center bits to keep the bits from wobbling when you first start to drill? Hope this helps.

Dave

reiddog1

My two from Sunday

Here ya go.

Attachments

• IMAG0245.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 103

BSea

I agree with you on the tubes. Here's a picture of the tubes from a kit of mine I got from Exotics.

Triton Tubes.jpg

I've made 2 of them so far, but I don't like the proportions. From now on I'm going to make closed ended tritons, or do what Ed says and use the longer jr Gent tubes, and a longer spring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom