Triton Custom Finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micharms

Not exactly sure which forum to post this to so I thought I'd try here.
I'm hoping you can help me out a bit here. I want to make a custom centreband and finial for a Triton. I'm just wondering about how I get the original finial out of the cap. I thought I'd ask for some help before I destroyed a perfectly good cap.

Thanks

Michael

nava1uni

I would use a transfer punch that fits snugly, but not tight, into the cap. Hold the cap with a gloved hand and use a mallet to knock out the finial. I would also wrap something around the cap to protect it. I use a piece of matting that is used to hold things from slipping on a tool bench. It looks like waffle material.

micharms

Thanks Cindy. I slightly modified what you suggested and everything worked like a charm. I used the snug fitting transfer punch in the Jacobs chuck mounted in the tailstock. I had previously drilled a hole in a piece of wood mounted in my chuck. The hole was just slightly larger than the finial but small enough so the shoulders of the cap rested on the wood. Advanced the quill and it pushed the the finial right out with very little effort.

Michael

Top Bottom