Triple yipee!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RAdams

RAdams

Banned
Think you got skills?

Think you can turn any material?

YOU GOTTA TRY THIS STUFF!

I got this blank in a private pen trade... (Thanks Truitt!). It was a freebee from exoticblanks. So it was a YIPEE for Truitt, and when he gave it to me, it became a double YIPEE.

After i recieved the blank, I contacted The old guy for as much info on the material as i could get. Ed told me that it would be one of the toughest materials i have worked with... that was an UNDERSTATEMENT!

Alternative Amber on a 10K JG rollerball.

Attachments

• 1_alt_amber.jpg
    1_alt_amber.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 525
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, Ron,

I will now have to agree you're a TURNER!!!

NICE JOB on a difficult material!!!

Answer to above, that is "Alternative Amber"--VERY transparent and VERY brittle. NICE when you get it to work.

PenMan1

It's turns out really pretty, but it is tougher than woodpecker lips. Better have sharp or carbide tools and take featherlike cuts.

Nice pen RA!

RAdams

Banned
Hey Ron,Do you ever sleep?Or are you just a pen making machine.What kind of blank is that? Todd

Todd: Yes and No... I do sleep, just not very much. I am an unmedicated insomniac. I went to bed this morning at around 5 am. I got out of bed at 8:30 am. I have tried about every natural remedy in the world and nothing makes any difference. In a week, I usually sleep what most people sleep in two or three days.

I got me a Yippee of that, any tips?

Jonathan, Yes. I will share the tips that Ed told me, and what i learned turning the material...

GO SLOW. This stuff requires your full attention. I compare it to driving a dragster. Each pass of the tool is a 1/4 mile pass. Requiring you to pay FULL attention from start to end. No "Cruise Control" with this stuff.

Be well rested. This tip is pretty important. You have to be able to truely pay attention to the cut, not drifting off in thought like with wood or Pr or something easy.

Bring the ends down early. I am kinda a rookie to the fundamentals of turning, and purely self taught, so i am not positive why you do this, but i followed the instruction and my pen worked out nicely. I think it is to prevent losing an end to chips. WHAT I DID: I mounted the tube one at a time on my mandrel and rounded to perfectly round. Then i used a parting tool and made a tiny tiny cut on each end. I cut probably 1/16" On each end, Then i used a round nose scraper to bring the main area down. I left the little parting tool cuts a bit proud of the bushings and once i got the rest scraped down to that point i went into hyper focus. A couple of very very gentle shearing cuts.

The material turns out quite Opaque as mentioned, so tube prep will be key. The turn signal amber paint i used is more of an overcoat for models so it goes on thin. I put on several coats and it still came out blotchy. Normally, this would be a HUGE problem, But with the amber paint under the amber blank with little peek-a-boo's of brass, I must say it looks pretty striking! If i was HAD to do it with a solid paint color, I would find a nice orange and go with that. If i was going to do it all over again, I would do the same thing i did this time... No differences.

BE PATIENT... It took me about 30 or 45 minutes to turn each tube. I may have been going too slow, but my pen sure is pretty so i think my speed was about right!

It was kinda weird, the material didn't really like to be cut with a tool, but soapy wet sanding seemed to work better than on PR. The shine i got from this material rivals any finish i have ever had on any material. It is definately VERY HIGH on my list of favorites(the material that is)...

I love the Yipee's. This one wasn't mine originally, but i ended up with it and know where it came from. I love to turn a new material and fall in love with it. This is the fourth material and second yipee material i have fallen for.

Last edited:

Jmhoff10500

Thanks!!! That's like building kitchen cabinets with how maticulous you have to be, but I can sure tell ya from the look of that pen that it was worth it! I might get ambitious enough to turn it this weekend or maybe I'll try one of my other 3 yippees and forward those on so you can get addicted to them!

RAdams

Banned
They totally cracked me out on the Alt. Ivory. I got a yippee of that stuff and bought three or four more pieces and plan to buy more asap.

Then it was trustone and ebonite. I bought these two, but they still hooked me on the fancy materials. Also on my shopping list. I want to find out which trustone is the hardest to turn and try it next!!

And now Alt. Amber! I will be ordering some of this stuff for sure! I want to play with the tube colors and see what the outcome is!

RAdams

Banned
Yup, I'm with Randy on this one! GO FOR IT!! The Alt. Ivory is alot of fun to turn!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The alternatives are NOT all the same material with different dyes. Alternative ivory is NOT difficult to turn, Amber is tricky. In between, are all the rest.

I have considered making a rating system and rating them on "exotics". After the bash, I will look for input on this in the MVV forum.

More new materials coming--looks like we will add to the Madreperlato colors and some other ideas are brewing.

RAdams

Banned
I was actually gonna say the same thing i was just in a hurry...

The Ivory is soft like butter. In fact, you gotta be a bit careful cause the tools will want to get aggressive. I just had to replan a bottom half for this very reason!

Top Bottom