Triple Tap and Die group buy Part Deux

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I'd agree with you George. I have the same holder that I use on my Rikon many times. Never needed the tommy bar except for doing some threading with stainless steel. That thing works very well. So let the goodtimes roll, and bring on the tap and die :biggrin:

Texatdurango

After making a couple of these hand made pens already, to my way of thinking, the hardest part of making your totally hand made pen (notice how I side stepped the phrase "kitless" :biggrin:?) is just sitting down and thinking of a pleasing size and shape then figuring out what size drills to use for your taps. The rest is just going through the motions!

Tapping and threading is really very simple once you have done a few pens, it's knowing when to stop threading, where to make a shoulder to stop the nib that gets fun!

Kaspar

... I would suggest not worrying so much whether the tool would be precise enough or not and just buy one and start using it! IT WILL WORK JUST FINE!

The place there was slop was the hole where the die fits in. It seems to me that my die may not be perfectly centered.

At any rate, I'll just test it on some machinable wax, when I get back to doing pens.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
The place there was slop was the hole where the die fits in. It seems to me that my die may not be perfectly centered.

At any rate, I'll just test it on some machinable wax, when I get back to doing pens.
Many of the holders are like that. The most important thing is that the die is perpendicular to the pen - it will seek the center but should be square.

Timebandit

You should also realize that you might be using a split die(not sure if you are)and that the tighter it is the smaller it will become and leave just a little bit more slop in th die holder. If you can get it set on its largest setting that will still be able fit into the die holder, the less slop you will have. You can even open the die to much and it wont even fit it the die holder anymore. Im only saying this to let you see how much you can vary the diameter, and therefore the slop in the die holder, just by adjusting the die with the set screw in it. Then making sure that all of your set screws on the die holder line up with the holes in the die and that they are nice and tight on the die. I also like to tighten those screws like i would change the tire on my car. Dont crank one down then crank the other one and then the other one. Tighten one a little bit, do the other a little bit , do the other one, all the while eyeballing that die and making sure that it stays dead center when i tighten up all the screws.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Kaspar Were you not on deaths bed and I was supposed to keep yours?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have 40+ of the tap sets going out in the mail this afternoon. There are 5 of you that require international postage and forms that I have to go through the post office website not Paypal. Those I will ship tomorrow. There is one that didnt leave his members Id or address with his payment. I will track him down tonight. It took a lot more time to post these than I anticipated. Paypal wouldnt let me do a batch mailing on these. Probably because of the age of the transactions. I tried doing a couple refunds but I will not get to those until Monday. I have a busy weekend with Family and you guys and gals get to wait.

Get ready cause here they come...........

MIke

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Postal noticed delivered. Cant hardly wait, and hopefully you got enough extra money to buy a KEG for your effort:wink:.

rsjimenez

If you decide to make another order, I would be interested in one set also.

If anybody decides not to use their set let me know and I will buy it from you.

Thanks

bradbn4

All nice and safe - now to document this hardware - > this way when I find it from that real safe place I know I won't forget about....

Looks to be a 1" round die - but could I get the spec's for the tap / die so I can print out a label...from what I remember the size is m12x.8

recommended drill bit? (there will be some wiggle room here - but a nice starting area would be helpful)

bradbn4

All nice and safe - now to document this hardware - > this way when I find it from that real safe place I know I won't forget about....

Looks to be a 1" round die - but could I get the spec's for the tap / die so I can print out a label...from what I remember the size is m12x.8

recommended drill bit? (there will be some wiggle room here - but a nice starting area would be helpful)

Found some good info in another buy a tap, or was it tap a beer - something like that ....

Someone once told me that with metric taps, you just subtract the second number from the first to get the proper drill size. I'm not an expert in the area, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement.

Silver

I have 40+ of the tap sets going out in the mail this afternoon. There are 5 of you that require international postage and forms that I have to go through the post office website not Paypal. Those I will ship tomorrow. There is one that didnt leave his members Id or address with his payment. I will track him down tonight. It took a lot more time to post these than I anticipated. Paypal wouldnt let me do a batch mailing on these. Probably because of the age of the transactions. I tried doing a couple refunds but I will not get to those until Monday. I have a busy weekend with Family and you guys and gals get to wait.

Get ready cause here they come...........

MIke

Don't worry about any refunds for me Mike.

Have a cold one on me....

Thanks for doing this and sorting it out, much appreciated.

Thanks.

043Turning

If by any change there is a SPARE going begging I would love you get it

I missed out on the 12 mm Group Buy but have put my details down for the 14mm

So if anyone has purchased a spare or no longer in need of the one they ordered ...PLEASE THINK OF little o'me:question:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you havent recieved your tap and die set and you live in The USA please let me know everyone but the overseas shipments should be done.

IF you still want a tap and die set and didnt get in on either of the 2 buys PM me and if I can get 12 commitments we can do a quick order. I have at least 3 members right now that still want a set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom