Trim Router Motor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Has anyone used a trim router with a speed controller to run any tools? Like a small lathe? I have an old cast iron Dunlap lathe, I already have a trim router and a router speed controller. Not concerned so much about the amount of power, just wondering if running it slow for extended times will hurt the router motor.

I thought it would be neat to have a 1930 something Dunlap lathe with a variable speed motor. Also might be an option for converting other tools to variable speed. I know that someone made a homemade lathe and powered it with a Harbor Freight 4" grinder with a router speed controller. He had no problems, or better, none so far.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Has anyone used a trim router with a speed controller to run any tools? Like a small lathe? I have an old cast iron Dunlap lathe, I already have a trim router and a router speed controller. Not concerned so much about the amount of power, just wondering if running it slow for extended times will hurt the router motor.

I thought it would be neat to have a 1930 something Dunlap lathe with a variable speed motor. Also might be an option for converting other tools to variable speed. I know that someone made a homemade lathe and powered it with a Harbor Freight 4" grinder with a router speed controller. He had no problems, or better, none so far.

Is the trim router VS. You can not use a speed controller on a VS motor.

dogcatcher

The router is a single speed, I have already been using the the router using the variable speed controller so I know that works. I am just curious if anyone has done this on any other tools? Beats the cost of the PSI or Rikon conversion kits, only difference is the router motor has a lot faster RPM than the PSI kit.

frank123

Router speed controls usually only work on "universal" type brush motors. so that limits them in what they can be used to control.

If you're at all shop handy (which I would think you would be since you're here) you can make a variable speed drive on that old lathe easily enough using a straight DC motor (treadmill motors work well but usually need to have the speed stepped down with a jack shaft arrangement) and a dc motor controller (m,y preference is about a 3/4 HP motor and a Cycletrol 150 controller) which can be found cheaply enough at surplus places and in ebay auctions. Be careful to match the HP of whatever motor you use with the HP rating of the controller you decide on.

DC motors are easy to make reversible too, just reverse the wires.

dogcatcher

I played with the router and controller this morning. I will be using a 1" pulley on the router with a 4" on the lathe, that will cut the speed down to a workable speed. The router controller is one of the good ones from MLCS.

From their site. MLCS Router Speed Control and Billy Pedal Foot Switches
Full power and torque at all speeds

Not hooked up to anything, just by feel I believe I have more than enough torque to make this a workable unit. Eventually I will be using a HF $30 trim router and my Porter Cable will go back to doing it's router job.

PenPal

The very principle of operating a finishing Router is the speed at which it runs and yes they can come with convenient speed control already fitted so first up any need for an external control is nullified.

My first thought that operating a Trim Router using the fitted Speed Controller is already solved and must be fully covered by their warranty.

If you desire small and fully controllable head out and look closely at a Taig or similar Lathe if you really like playing with pulleys I have both and can recommend horses for courses.

There are incredible groups on the Internet that support both.

A consideration that I think is vital with a finishing router is the cooling fan fitted to them gives a blast of air in the downward path so in my experience you will have to divert this sideways unless you like dust and swarf in your face this is easy to do.

Is this necessary I hear you ask YES it is I found it took me a while to figure out the principles of operation with these small finishing Routers.

So learn the principles obey the basic norms these dynamite little fellows have their place in the workshop. The price of is no contest with and without speed control. I remember clearly handling Dremel tools without speed control and now they all come fitted with control.

The device called Pen Wizard can use a form of router called a Dremel or other tools look carefully at this principle learn what speeds they operate best at no revs no cut.

I have a small hand held SKF unit that is driven by an air impeller designed for the Dental Industry etc that revs to 130,000 rpm or more using dental burrs once again decide whether you follow the principles of operation live within them or try to reinvent the wheel.

Have fun I do.

Peter.

low_48

I played with the router and controller this morning. I will be using a 1" pulley on the router with a 4" on the lathe, that will cut the speed down to a workable speed. The router controller is one of the good ones from MLCS.

From their site. MLCS Router Speed Control and Billy Pedal Foot Switches
Full power and torque at all speeds

Not hooked up to anything, just by feel I believe I have more than enough torque to make this a workable unit. Eventually I will be using a HF $30 trim router and my Porter Cable will go back to doing it's router job.

How has the trim router powered lathe worked out?

farmer

OK

All but one of my router and trimmers all have a variable RPM .

Several go down below 10.000 rpm .........................

I prefer the rigid veneers trimmers because the have built in rpm controller and the whole trimmers has a life time warranty, even on the brushes and bearings :biggrin:

Normally the trimmers are running full rpms because you can zip through the wood effortless so my cuts are shallow and quick passes.

You guys just don't know what the good life is where you don't shatter wood or acrylic blanks, you don't have to clamp the wood so tight you crack the bed of your lathe.........

Its like cutting butter with a chain saw.

jttheclockman

Hey Mike

I see you mention you make cue sticks. Maybe in "other things we make forum" you could post a few for us to see some of your work. This tool is a great example for doing the butts. Also if you carried these ideas to pens I think many of us would like to see your work. Make for some interesting designs. I started working on a few but use a wood lathe and router to do mine. Hopefully I can get back at it soon.

low_48

All but one of my router and trimmers all have a variable RPM .

Several go down below 10.000 rpm .........................

I prefer the rigid veneers trimmers because the have built in rpm controller and the whole trimmers has a life time warranty, even on the brushes and bearings :biggrin:

Normally the trimmers are running full rpms because you can zip through the wood effortless so my cuts are shallow and quick passes.

You guys just don't know what the good life is where you don't shatter wood or acrylic blanks, you don't have to clamp the wood so tight you crack the bed of your lathe.........

Its like cutting butter with a chain saw.

The OP was talking about using a trim router to power a machine. Using a trim router as a router is pretty common.

Top Bottom