Tried a tubeless slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I only did the lower barrel for this one. Just wanted to get a feel for it. I don't know if I like the technique, however. I had to epoxy the parts in with a 1/4" hole. I think a specialty bit may work better, but really the tubes aren't that big of a deal.

I did one in aluminum and one in brass (forgot to take pics of the brass one.)

slimblackalum01.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I like that! very classy looking. so did you just press in the twist mech into the drilled hole? (wow, thats sounds so stupid{me saying that})I've never tried that, figured there would be too many issues with the mech .

DurocShark

I used a couple dabs of epoxy to hold the mechanism... The brass part, not the chrome part. It comes out with a punch like usual. I tried taking it apart a couple times just to see how difficult it was.

ldb2000

Looks great Don . As an alternative to drilling , next time try using a small (micro tool) scraper or parting tool (I made a handle for a boring bar) to enlarge a 1/4" hole to the exact size of the transmission . It will save you the trouble of having to glue in the transmission , it will also make the joint a little stronger . Also loose the kit nib and turn the lower barrel as a one piece . They make really cool kitless slimlines .

RAdams

Banned
Really nice pen! Thank you for sharing it with us! It has inspired me to push my limits. I just gotta find the materials, and time.

I have some PR bushings that i use that have no tube and wondered about a tubeless pen. Butch's idea of the solid nib/body would be really cool! More stuff to add to the list of "to do".

DurocShark

This thread was my attempt at making a tubeless KIT pen. I wanted to make it without the tubes just to see how the parts would work together.

I do other tubeless pens. Here's the one I sent skippy for PITH:

pith01.jpg

Lower barrel is brass and aluminum, upper barrel is green soapstone with a brass finial. It's all tenon construction (blame Butch!), no tubes. Inside is a Pentel mechanism.

I worried about the soapstone, so I used a floating aluminum tenon between the two halves. (I tried a PR barrel without the floating tenon, and the silly thing would snap off if I looked at it wrong. So floating tenon it is!)

DurocShark

Here's the brass one and aluminum one together.

I like the feel of these, I just think I'll use the tubes when working with kit parts from now on. Too much of a PITA to get the parts in solid enough to sell, but able to be disassembled without a 2 ton press. heh

blackghosts01.jpg

gr8danish

Those are really hot! I like the simplicity and elegance of the 1-piece metal barrel. I agree with the previous statement that they would look better without the nib from the kit, but even as-is they look good.

Keep up the nice work!

Top Bottom