Traveling Mighty Fast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

My thanks to Bob Wemm, who kindly offered the gift of this beautiful chunk of wood, as he described:

This is half a CROTCH section of "Leucadendron argenteum from the Protea family. Commonly known as the "Silver Tree".
I cannot use it as I am allergic to the dust.
The piece is slightly punky and should be stabilised, although I was able to successfully turn it with the use of thin CA.
I have attached a photo of the finished piece that I made to give you an idea of the spalting Etc.
This piece is slightly more than 10 inches long, 7.5inches wide at it's widest and 4inches at it's thickest point. The photos show some voids and checks.

This was shipped back in mid-March, via slow boat, and arrived today. I did a ruff calculation, which indicates the piece was traveling at just under the speed of light to get from Australia to Hawaii in only 3 months:tongue:

Thanks Bob. Time for me to plan how best to use this amazing piece of wood. Pics will follow, once the turning project get going. One of Bob's photos...

Attachments

• Silver Tree.png
    Silver Tree.png
    955.8 KB · Views: 129

robutacion

My thanks to Bob Wemm, who kindly offered the gift of this beautiful chunk of wood, as he described:

This is half a CROTCH section of "Leucadendron argenteum from the Protea family. Commonly known as the "Silver Tree".
I cannot use it as I am allergic to the dust.
The piece is slightly punky and should be stabilised, although I was able to successfully turn it with the use of thin CA.
I have attached a photo of the finished piece that I made to give you an idea of the spalting Etc.
This piece is slightly more than 10 inches long, 7.5inches wide at it's widest and 4inches at it's thickest point. The photos show some voids and checks.

This was shipped back in mid-March, via slow boat, and arrived today. I did a ruff calculation, which indicates the piece was traveling at just under the speed of light to get from Australia to Hawaii in only 3 months:tongue:

Thanks Bob. Time for me to plan how best to use this amazing piece of wood. Pics will follow, once the turning project get going. One of Bob's photos...

Oh boy ...! I'm so glad I don't have any allergies to any woods I ever touched/worked with and I know well how nasty these woods are to Bob Wemm, I was responsible for one of his nastier's reactions Bob has experienced and, I think of that often.

I have a wood like that with various different names, they are all part of the same gene species and look most identical in grain, colours and shapes. I was using some of it just yesterday and every time I do, I remember Bob's problem.

I look forward to see what you make out of it and, I think that the speed the wood got to you was more like the speed of turtle than speed of sound...!:wink:

Good luck with it...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom