Traveler Version 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dfurlano

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurlano

This took a while to do but I finally got it done. I took a few quick shots. Sterling Sliver and ebonite with Blackwood and Pomele Bubinga.

I engraved all the pieces. The compass is enameled, clip is sterling silver and center band says "To travel hopefully" from Robert L Stevenson's "To travel hopefully is a better thing then to arrive"

t2-front.jpg

t2-clip-top.jpg

t2-cap-up.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Beautiful work, Dan. When you mention Sterling Silver, I'm assuming the clip and CB are made from that. Sterling is pretty soft stuff so I'm curious how stiff the clip is.

woodscavenger

How did you do the clip? That is really a fantastic pen. It has been amazing to see the level of creativity and workmanship skyrocket on this thread in the last year.

CaptG

That is disgusting. Just when I start to think I am getting good, I see a pen as creative and awesome as yours and get shot back down to reality. Sigh. Great work.

cueman

VERY NICE! I can only imagine how much time you have wrapped up into this beauty. What kind of set up do you use to cut the spiral grooves?

dfurlano

Thanks for the comments. The compasses are actually cheaper then I wanted. I get them from Stanley London and if you buy bulk they are $1.45 each.

The clip is 14 gauge sterling and has a good amount of strength. If you pull hard it will bend but so won't a regular clip. I need to take more photos if you see it from the side it is more then strong enough. Also I did not anneal the metal.

The spirals and engraving are all done on a CNC mini mill.

Also I enameled the compass plaque. Enameling is really a good technique to learn. You can use a propane torch for the heating so it does not cost a lot to get into.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom