Transfer punches

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

I just bought my set of HF transfer punches. I plan on using them for disassembly, like everybody else and have a question. When I opened the case I noticed that one end is pointed. I assume that you insert the flat end into the pen tube to push out the parts. Do you file/grind the point down or just hit it with the hammer? Or, am I totally wrong in my assumption and you use the pointed end in the tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I just bought my set of HF transfer punches. I plan on using them for disassembly, like everybody else and have a question. When I opened the case I noticed that one end is pointed. I assume that you insert the flat end into the pen tube to push out the parts. Do you file/grind the point down or just hit it with the hammer? Or, am I totally wrong in my assumption and you use the pointed end in the tube?

Don't file anything. When using these the center portion will not come into play. You want to find the size that fits into your tube just snugly so when extracting whatever item it is will hit the outside edges of the item and not the middle. No need to file them.

rherrell

Transfer punches are designed to mark the center of a hole, that's what the point is for. You stick the punch in the hole and hit it with a hammer and it will mark the material you want to drill in the center. The dimple is not used in pen disassembly but I don't remove it because I also use them for their original purpose.

One tip...if you have a disc sander you can grind the end so it's flat, that gives it a sharp EDGE which is REAL handy when disassembling pens.:wink:

DurocShark

I use the pointed end as the strike end. I have a beat up mallet I use solely for this.

I used to have the point down into the pen when using, but have an unfounded fear the thing will fly out like a spear and impale my foot or something. Not realistic, but couldn't get that image out of my head.

jskeen

The point is handy if you want to extract the metal finial insert so you can replace it with a turned one that matches the blank. Other than that, it's not much use. There are not many instances in disassembling pens where it will touch anything if you are using the correct size punch that is a snug fit in the tube. If you use a metal hammer to strike them with, the point will round over fairly easily, as the HF punches are not very hard, metallurgically speaking. They will also eventually mushroom on either or both ends and need grinding back to something close to correct diameter, which is not necessarily a good thing. The slight bevel on them from the factory is not necessarily a good thing for pen disassembly either, so after I mostly destroyed my first two sets through abuse, I got my third set and ground all the flat ends really flat with nice square edges, and made a little carrier for them and a wooden mallet that is use for nothing else. I use the flat end in the tube and strike the pointed end, and made the mallet modular so I can reface it eventually. But that's just me, YMMV.

Last edited:

randyrls

To join the thread; Some finials and some nibs are multi-part assemblies. When using a transfer punch to push them out, you may want to drill a relief hole in the center of the end of the transfer punch. The Baron pen is a style that suffers from this situation.

jskeen

To join the thread; Some finials and some nibs are multi-part assemblies. When using a transfer punch to push them out, you may want to drill a relief hole in the center of the end of the transfer punch. The Baron pen is a style that suffers from this situation.

You are correct, and this is one situation where the rule of "use a snug fit to the inside of the tube and push the part out by the edges" won't work, because the punch has to fit through the threads in the cap to get the finial out, so that you can insert the snug fit punch to drive the centerband out. Hobson's choice. So if you don't want to dislodge the finial (factory or your own turned one) a relief in the center of the face of that particular punch is necessary. That applies to most capped pen kits, baron, gent/statesman ect.

bensoelberg

I used to have the point down into the pen when using, but have an unfounded fear the thing will fly out like a spear and impale my foot or something. Not realistic, but couldn't get that image out of my head.

Ha Ha! Now I will think of that also everytime I use them. My wife has the unfounded fear that she will fall while on a staircase and hit her teeth on a stair. This fear hasn't disabled her to the point that she can't use stairs, but I'm sure it is always just barely under the surface. Funny how our minds work, isn't it?

Top Bottom