tops and more tops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodguy95

Woodguy95

Ok so, these are the tops that I just made. I'm gooing to be making a lot more tops in the next few days/weeks since I have a lot of scraps, a bit of time, no kits to make pens: I ran out :( and these are a lot of fun to do too. anyway tell me which one you prefer. so I'll post the next ones in this thread too.
ps: pictures are in order so you can see the top from two different angles.

Attachments

• IMG_9704.jpg
    IMG_9704.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_9708.jpg
    IMG_9708.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_9705.jpg
    IMG_9705.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_9709.jpg
    IMG_9709.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_9706.jpg
    IMG_9706.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9707.jpg
    IMG_9707.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 129
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I make tops also and will tell you if you want those to spin for long times you need to sharpen the point and be careful how you distribute the weight. It may take some experimenting.

JimB

I make tops also and will tell you if you want those to spin for long times you need to sharpen the point and be careful how you distribute the weight. It may take some experimenting.

I have had the same experience. Weight distribution, size and the point all make a big difference in how well they spin.

Of course, if you are going for looks you can ignore everything I just said. They look great.

Woodguy95

I've found that the last one is the best shape up to date. I can get it to spin for about 2 mins. Would you mind sharing some pictures? How long do yours spin?

Woodguy95

I have had the same experience. Weight distribution, size and the point all make a big difference in how well they spin.

Of course, if you are going for looks you can ignore everything I just said. They look great.

Thanks for the comment

jttheclockman

I've found that the last one is the best shape up to date. I can get it to spin for about 2 mins. Would you mind sharing some pictures? How long do yours spin?

2 minutes is pretty good so maybe your design is right on. keep at then. I have not tried for records or things but this one I did spin for a little over 3 min. It has to do with the finger snap. If you can get the top to spin on center right away it will go a long time. Any wobble will take away from that. I do not have a bunch of photos of finished tops. It is just something I thought every turner does at one time or other. I have a bunch of tops with just the bodies. I need to turn the handles and the bottoms. But they are far from my priority list. I can take a photo of them if you want.

This is one design I make. I noticed if you make the handle too long it throws the center of gravity off so that is a fine line. They are fun and most turning clubs make them for childrens hospitals.

Good luck and keep them spinning.

Top Bottom