Top piece of wood exactly 1.7895? Really?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

I just turned a Berea Hardwoods Round Top European style pen...

It's a beautiful pen, but one of the dimensions seems to be off.

Looking at page 1 of the directions, it says that the wood for the cap needs to be exactly 1.7895" long. http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pdf/3_RTEuroDoubleTwistPen.pdf

I made mine 1.7900" long, and there's a big gap between the centerband and the top piece of wood.

So I popped out the top a little bit, so that the centerband fit well, and everything worked... then I measured what the top piece of wood should have been. I got 1.900".

Has anyone else come across this? Am I doing things right? I attached a pic for your review... Your thoughts welcomed...

Mike...

Attachments

• IMG_8834.JPG
    IMG_8834.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

Okay,

I re-measured the top wood, without the clip and ring... it appears to be 1.82.

That's still not 1.7895.

Any ideas what's going on?

Mike...

Attachments

• IMG_8836a.JPG
    IMG_8836a.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 105

its_virgil

Not sure what is going on. Calipers, either the ones used by Berea or the ones used by you, are not measuring the same. I consider my calipers to only be correct in my shop. Could be a typo. Anyway, this problem is why I do not use any of the measurements or drill bit recommendations in anyone's instructions. I take my own measurements and determine how long to cut and what drill bit to use. Just saying.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Dale Allen

Hehe, whoever wrote those instructions must be the same guy I work with in the design department.
It's interesting that the measurement is mentioned 2 places in the directions and it is suppose to be the 'exact' decimal of 25/32.
NOT!!!:cool:

I hope someone else made the cap gauge they suggest using!:eek:

Last edited:

mikeschn

Wow, I never considered the possibility that my calipers could be off. I guess that's a good reason to determine my own dimensions...

Mike....

Not sure what is going on. Calipers, either the ones used by Berea or the ones used by you, are not measuring the same. I consider my calipers to only be correct in my shop. Could be a typo. Anyway, this problem is why I do not use any of the measurements or drill bit recommendations in anyone's instructions. I take my own measurements and determine how long to cut and what drill bit to use. Just saying.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom