toothpaste

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mchech

A gunsmith friend of mine told me he used Pearl Drops tooth polish to lap the rifling in a newly rifled gun barrel. He said it was about as mild an abrasive as he knew of at the time. This was back in the 70's so I have no idea how much the formulas have changed.

Charlie_W

I guess it would be hard to determine what grit the toothpaste is. Also, how consistent is that grit? After you wet sand to 12,000 would the toothpaste be finer or more course?
I have two different brands of plastic polish. One is much rougher the the other. I only use the fine. Just rubbing it between your fingers it was very obvious.

Good Luck!

txbob

Yes, I've tried it. Works ok, the blue gel toothpaste is less abrasive than the white. Didn't find any advantage over auto polish compound which is a lot less expensive.
txbob

dwarmbrodt

A gunsmith friend of mine told me he used Pearl Drops tooth polish to lap the rifling in a newly rifled gun barrel. He said it was about as mild an abrasive as he knew of at the time. This was back in the 70's so I have no idea how much the formulas have changed.

Seen this as well!
Also back in the 70's I worked at a tackle shop that held a Garcia reel repair clinic. The tech from Garcia said he used toothpaste inside a spinning reel and an electric drill on the handle stud to mate the gear surfaces.

CREID

That's the best one yet. When I started this thread, I thought you might all think I was crazy, but toothpaste has some abrasives in it and by nature of what the product is, it has to be a very mild abrasive at that. Thank you all for the responses, both informative and tongue in cheek.

Top Bottom