Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Do a Google search for, Capt. Eddie Castlin and watch his YouTube videos. I just made 4 carbide tiped tools in 5 hours complete based on his videos and have about $25 in all of them combined. They work great and the Capt. also has a YouTube video on making the sawsall blade parting tool. He says it will cost you $1.50 to make one.
WB

keithkarl2007

You could buy the Robert Sorby gouges separately. They aren't really cheap and not too expensive, but remember you get what you pay for.

PaulDoug

Harbor freight. About $40.00 for a set of HSS. Not the best, but good to learn .

I still have that set and I sharpen them to razor sharpness.

One of their sets was the first I purchased. Had them for years and still use them routinely. I have other ones that each one cost me more than the HF set and I got to say I don't see the big difference. Coarse I'm not an expert turner.

jjudge

carbide tools

I posted a how-to on making carbide tipped tools. The post has a cost-break down, too. I think I calculated in the tap/die that I had to buy, also.

I finished my 4th last night -- 2 square tipped on square bar + round; 2 round tipped on square bar + round.

On the other hand: I bought a lot of decent lathe tools at a second-hand tool store. Not a lot of turners go there, so the lathe chisels tend to be more available. One-by-one, I built up a large set.

Do a Google search for, Capt. Eddie Castlin and watch his YouTube videos. I just made 4 carbide tiped tools in 5 hours complete based on his videos and have about $25 in all of them combined. They work great and the Capt. also has a YouTube video on making the sawsall blade parting tool. He says it will cost you $1.50 to make one.
WB

monophoto

Parting tool: make your own. Look for Capt. Eddie's videos
Gouge: buy a used tool

Another option is to buy an inexpensive 'starter' set. Yes, the steel won't be the best, but the major downside of that is that you will need to sharpen more often. And that's not bad because you really do need to learn how to sharpen. And if you go with a minimal set - gouge, parting tool and skew, you will be able to use those tools, and when you learn more and expand your skills and interests, you can then buy only the more specialized tools that you need for the work you are doing.

jedgerton

Top Bottom