Tooling marks inside of acrylic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Tried a search but no luck. Some time ago, I saw a post here about how to get rid of tooling marks inside of acrylic blanks. I'm working on a pen now that, although I painted the inside of the blank, I'm seeing what appear to be drilling scratches in one of the more transparent areas. These are Ligero's and the blanks are turned very thin.

Too late for this one, but I just drilled a couple more blanks, and I can see some areas that are scratched in these as well. What I thought was suggested before was a quick coat of acetone, which would melt the abrasions away, but dry before doing any real damage. However a few swipes with a q tip dipped in acetone didn't really do anything. So, is there a quick fix for this, to be used before painting the inside of the tubes?

Thanks,

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

You can do something similar with a fine round file, just don't cut too aggressively. Also, painting the inside of the blank will reduce the reflectivity of any scratches or cuts.

PTJeff

Dan,
I've used a patch holder from my gun cleaning kit and put a piece of sandpaper in it to make a small "flapper style" sander. I've even gon so far as to put a few on there and apply some EEE. Spin that on the drill and it'll git r dun

gwilki

Dan: I've had reasonable success using cooking oil when I drill the blank. That way, I don't have scratches that I need to find a way to remove.

randyrls

Originally posted by PTJeff

Dan,
I've used a patch holder from my gun cleaning kit and put a piece of sandpaper in it to make a small "flapper style" sander. I've even gon so far as to put a few on there and apply some EEE. Spin that on the drill and it'll git r dun

Here is a suggestion. Cut a slit lengthwise in the end of a dowel and insert a small piece of sandpaper. Chuck the dowel in a drill and sand away!

Dan_F

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After finishing the blank that originally inspired this post, I'm thinking it may not have been the drill bit after all. I'll start another thread, and post a pic of the blank in question, as I'd really like to know what caused the problem.

Dan

M

monkeynutz

if the scratches are not too deep, you might try chucking a medical swab (single-ended Q-tip with wooden shaft) into your drill and putting some compound on it. Worked for me.

Top Bottom