Tool Rest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

I purchased a tool rest from Micro-Lux that goes into the 101 holder on the QCTP. The concept is fine but there is no way to get it close enough to the stock. I was hoping that someone like Rick has a design for one that would allow you to get as close as you would on a wood lathe. If I could get the rest about 3" closer, I could all but do away with the wood lathe for my purposes. Any ideas out there? Here is what the product looks like, may some ideas can be gained from the photo.

82570_R.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Why cant you get close enough? Cant you move your compound closer in? You should be able to slide your compound all the way to the back of your cross slide, not that you would need to, but you should be able to. Just unbolt that pretty 4-bolt plate and scoot it closer.:biggrin:

IPD_Mr

Because the QCTP goes right up to the live center and the tool rest is even with the center of the QCTP, you cannot get it any closer.

Timebandit

I dont understand. Do you have a pic? You should either be able to crank your cross slide in closer to your work piece ( unless it is cranked in as far as it will go) or be able to unbolt your compound and scoot it in farther closer to your work piece, so that you now have more travel on your compound.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Mike - I have one of those and found that mounting a round piece of steel (I use one of the Harbor Freight transfer punchs) in a QC holder works even better. Do it all the time.

jd99

why not get a peice of round stock, grind a couple of flats on it, and clamp it in the front of your QCTP, then just dial the cross slide in until it's where you want it, and you can also get extended nose live centers we use them all the time at the machine shop.

you could also get some flat stock and weld it to the round stock to extend it forward; then it would stick out further in front of the QCTP, and leave room for the center.

Ya got a metal lathe ya should be able to make anything ya need. A lathe is the only machine tool that you can reproduce another lathe with. If ya got the time and know how.

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

I dont understand. Do you have a pic? You should either be able to crank your cross slide in closer to your work piece ( unless it is cranked in as far as it will go) or be able to unbolt your compound and scoot it in farther closer to your work piece, so that you now have more travel on your compound.

It will only crank in until it hits the live center. You can not crank it through your work.

IPD_Mr

Mike - I have one of those and found that mounting a round piece of steel (I use one of the Harbor Freight transfer punchs) in a QC holder works even better. Do it all the time.

Bruce I have done the same but the problem is not getting the adjustable height. That round bar would be parallel to the work piece and depending on the tool, I would have to hold the butt of the tool up at like a 30 degree angle.

Andrew_K99

What are they odds that your banjo from your wood lathe will fit the metal lathe?

Maybe you could make a new clamp block (see here for what one looks like) so you could use it on your metal lathe?

Last edited:

cnirenberg

Mike,
I have the same tool rest and the same problems with it. The steel bar worked so-so in the tool holder, but you are correct there is no way to adjust for height. I'm interested to see what happens.....

jd99

OK looked at the picture, here's what you do, you cut off the part that clamps in the QCTP, then you take the tool post off your compound, and remove the stud, then get a bolt that will fit the threaded hole in the compound, drill a clearance hole in the other holder and mount it on your compound.

Attachments

• 82570_R.jpg
    82570_R.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 189

Timebandit

It will only crank in until it hits the live center. You can not crank it through your work.

I see what you mean now. The QCTP is hitting the live center and you need the tool rest to extend to the front of the QCTP. I was thinking of it without the live center.

Timebandit

OK looked at the picture, here's what you do, you cut off the part that clamps in the QCTP, then you take the tool post off your compound, and remove the stud, then get a bolt that will fit the threaded hole in the compound, drill a clearance hole in the other holder and mount it on your compound.

That might work it the tool post will adjust to the height he needs.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

Bruce I have done the same but the problem is not getting the adjustable height. That round bar would be parallel to the work piece and depending on the tool, I would have to hold the butt of the tool up at like a 30 degree angle.

With a QCTP you should be able to quickly raise it to any height. Remove the little stop screw. Do you have a QCTP or one like is in the picture?

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

What are they odds that your banjo from your wood lathe will fit the metal lathe?

One Billion to None. :frown:
Okay ... what are the odds that the clamp block (see above for what it is) on your metal lathe tail stock would fit the banjo from your wood lathe?

With your odds the threads are likely different :tongue: but it shouldn't be hard to make a new clamp block and drill/tap a hole to match what your wood lathe banjo uses. Then you can use all your current wood lathe tool rests.

AK

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THey make a bicycle holder that is about the right diameter to fit in the qctp holder. It is shaped like you want and you would have to cut some of it off to fit properly. I found then at Low,s Its a hook that screws into wood. Kinda like a long question mark.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mike, I got this contraption with my 9x20 I didn't mention it to you, because I haven't used it, and can't say how good it works. Also, I don't see how you would adjust height with it. But, it's a thought. Would require removing the qctp, and bolting down to the cross slide. I think.:redface:

Attachments

• IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1177.JPG
    IMG_1177.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 120

IPD_Mr

I was honored by a phone call from the great one. :biggrin::tongue::biggrin: He had an idea that got me in the right direction. I have a couple of mods that I would want to do to it. Once I get this done I will post photos, but it will not be until June. Leaving next Wed. for the NC pen show and trying to finish up a few vintage pens for trade.

BigShed

Interesting idea for a metal lathe toolrest HERE.

It is for a Sherline lathe, but could be adapted for other lathes.

Also look on the same website for GRAVERS, tools for hand turning on the metal lathe.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Taig has a cheaper version than Sherline. I used the taig base adapted to my Sherline lathe.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yes, to use it with the sherline lathe take the dovetail clamp piece out and use a sherline t-nut and bolt it on top of the cross slide. I even made a rest that resembles the watch makers one you first posted.

Top Bottom