Tool for bending watch parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The one review for that item is not so good:

"Comments about Delrin Forming and Bending Block:

This seems like a great idea, but the one I got was so poorly cut that several of the channels show rough slashes and spirals that I'm sure would mar any metal I form. It's too expensive for such low quality!"

I think it wouldn't be difficult to make the equivalent item, and, doing it yourself, you could tailor it to the correct sizes for pens.
Where would you buy delrin ?

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You can get delrin from Grainger or, better yet, from their subsidiary, Zoro Tools.

They have a very good selection & the prices are very reasonable. You can order them on-line from Zoro and they also sell some on ebay.

I've ordered from them several times & the first time, I got free shipping since it was my first order. I don't know if that's a regular thing or if it was just a special at the time.

Edgar

Fish30114

You should just buy a slab of delrin from McMaster Carr, and put it in your drill press, and make the series of channels the size you want. I would actually drill the series of holes on a centerline and then cut the delrin in half--you'd end up with two pieces but then you'd have one for a second project or a backup!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You should just buy a slab of delrin from McMaster Carr, and put it in your drill press, and make the series of channels the size you want. I would actually drill the series of holes on a centerline and then cut the delrin in half--you'd end up with two pieces but then you'd have one for a second project or a backup!

They might be a better source - now that I think about it, I'm not sure if Zoro has bar stock. I know they have rods & sheets but I'm not sure about bars.

jttheclockman

Buy UHMW Sheet, 1/2" Thick at Woodcraft.com

This stuff is very versatile. It comes in various thicknesses and lengths. You can get it alot of different places. Ebay, Amazon Woodcraft, Peachtree and many others. I like the 1/2" stuff. i glue 2 pieces together with a sheet of white blank paper in between with thin CA. I then cut as many blanks as I want at whatever length you want. I put it in my lathe and drill an appropriate hole for the size of the tube used. The drilling is done so that the bit goes down the center of the 2 blanks. when done i seperate the 2 blanks with a sharp chisel or sometimes a quick blow from a deadblow hammer. The 2 pieces seperate and now you have 2 halves. Mark these with the size of the tube or kit name or whatever you find convient.

Now find a transfer punch that fits snuggly into the groove. If you have a press you can use that or you can use your drill press to push down on the transfer punch as you bend each piece.

Hope that is clear as mud.

That material is great because you can used it for a fence or anything that needs a slippery surface. With this stuff the watch parts do not get nicked from the metal if using metal forms. Some people just use hard woods such as maple to make the exact same things. But you need hard woods or the gears will dig into the wood as you bend them.

Last edited:

plantman

Dick; Go to redroosteruk. com. They have a 3" maple jewler's block that also has 4 dome shapes, straight grooves, v-grooves, and half rounds on it for under $10. They also have watch dials, and bagged watch parts at very attractive prices, plus all the jewlers and watchmaker tools you will ever need including swages. They also have a 3X2X2" solid steel doming dapping block with lines, chanels, v-groovs and curves for $30.50. Shipping is about the same as US. Fast delivery and nice people to deal with. I use this block along with a small arbor press to bend my watch and miniture model parts. Jim S

Last edited:

jeweler53

4240 Wellington Loop SE, Lacey, WA, 98503
I think this tool is awesome! The hammer punches are slightly undersized. If you have a part that required a punch you don't have I use one of my Harbor Freight punches and a hammer. I suppose you could also turn a hardwood punch. The only down side is that the corners of the grooves are fairly sharp. I plan on softening them some, but using a piece of felt to "start" the curve also works to prevent scratching.

jtdesigns

If you have access to bandsaw (wood or metal), you can make one pretty cheap that is customized for the tubes that you use. I took a scap piece of 2x2 aluminum block (doesn't have to be that thick) and drilled 4 holes (using drill bits for Gent/Statesman and Jr. Gent/Stateman). I then cut this in half, giving me two sets of "swage" blocks that have held up quite well. For the hardened gears/parts, you can anneal (heat) them with a small butane torch while they sit in the swage block. I then use a small jewelers hammer and a the corresponding transfer punch to swage the part. I then polish the part with my Foredom (dremel works too). Works great and cost me nothing to make. I will try and post a quick pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

jtdesigns

I also use a hard maple block using the same concept for brass or "soft" parts. The biggest advantage is that I am able to get a perfect contour to fit my tube without having to spend a ton on a swage block that is an "almost perfect" contour.

vtgaryw

Jim, that block looks neat. It looks like 6 different semi-circle channels? What are their sizes?

Thanks,

Gary

Dick; Go to redroosteruk. com. They have a 3" maple jewler's block that also has 4 dome shapes, straight grooves, v-grooves, and half rounds on it for under $10. They also have watch dials, and bagged watch parts at very attractive prices, plus all the jewlers and watchmaker tools you will ever need including swages. They also have a 3X2X2" solid steel doming dapping block with lines, chanels, v-groovs and curves for $30.50. Shipping is about the same as US. Fast delivery and nice people to deal with. I use this block along with a small arbor press to bend my watch and miniture model parts. Jim S

plantman

Jim, that block looks neat. It looks like 6 different semi-circle channels? What are their sizes?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary; There are 4 domes. They are 40mm =1 5/8 45mm = 1 13/16 52mm = 2 1/16 55mm = 2 3/16. 5 rounds, 2 V grooves, and 2 flat channels. Jim S

plantman

Thanks,

Gary

Gary; There are 4 domes. They are 40mm =1 5/8 45mm = 1 13/16 52mm = 2 1/16 55mm = 2 3/16. 5 rounds, 2 V grooves, and 2 flat channels. Jim S

Sorry!! Not What you wanted to know. Grooves are 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 7/16, and 1/2 inch. Jim S

vtgaryw

Thanks. Must be popular, they're out of stock at redroosteruk already, and they don't know when they'll have more.

-gayr

Thanks,

Gary

Sorry!! Not What you wanted to know. Grooves are 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 7/16, and 1/2 inch. Jim S

vtgaryw

Once you know what something is called, it's a lot easier to find. If you google either 'dapping block' or "forming block", all sorts of options pop up.

Gary

vtgaryw

Attachments

• Dappling Block.jpg
    Dappling Block.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 141
Top Bottom