Too good to waste...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Ok peoples,

Lets announce the winner of at least 7 (max. of 500gr with box, etc...!) of the Wild Mulberry Crotch pen blanks , as promised..!

Congratulations hunter-27 (Landon) you are going to receive a free 500gr package from me...! Please PM me with your postal details.

I have however someone else that made the right call, 1 hour and 21 minutes after hunter-27 correct post. For any purposes and intentions of my original offer, only one winner would be able to claim the prize but, I know that keithbyrd tried hard to win these blanks so, I will do you a deal mate (Keith), you pay for the freight and I send you the blanks free of charge, does this sound fair to you...???

PM me, and I will tell you how much post is, etc...!

I would like to thank everyone that participated on this thread, it was fun and interesting to read some of the guesses and stories about "no clue".

I shall continue to make identical offers, here and there as I like to expand peoples knowledge about tree species, particularly those found in this neck of the woods so, once again, THANK YOU...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

philb

I've never seen fruiting Mulberry, so a non-fruiting one is definitely one to add to the knowledge list!!

Was fun guessing, like a mini blank I.D from the bash!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Ok peoples,

Lets announce the winner of at least 7 (max. of 500gr with box, etc...!) of the Wild Mulberry Crotch pen blanks , as promised..!

Congratulations hunter-27 (Landon) you are going to receive a free 500gr package from me...! Please PM me with your postal details.

I have however someone else that made the right call, 1 hour and 21 minutes after hunter-27 correct post. For any purposes and intentions of my original offer, only one winner would be able to claim the prize but, I know that keithbyrd tried hard to win these blanks so, I will do you a deal mate (Keith), you pay for the freight and I send you the blanks free of charge, does this sound fair to you...???

PM me, and I will tell you how much post is, etc...!

I would like to thank everyone that participated on this thread, it was fun and interesting to read some of the guesses and stories about "no clue".

I shall continue to make identical offers, here and there as I like to expand peoples knowledge about tree species, particularly those found in this neck of the woods so, once again, THANK YOU...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

TY for the "mini contest". :tongue:

steamshovel

I didn't win but I thought it was fun. I learned about trees from other countries. I have a Mulberry tree in my pasture. It produces berries-lots of berries. I had never noticed in preceeding years when the tree shedded its leaves. But last year my wife and I were in the garden and noticed the leaves were falling from the Mulberry Tree and they were falling fast. We thought that was strange se we kept checking and in 6 hours the tree was bare of leaves and I mean bare. We watched this year and the same thing happened. I guess thats normal for some trees ? Now when a branch falls off I'm going to save it for pen turning.

George thanks again for making someone like me interested in trees from far away.

Preston

Last edited:

robutacion

I didn't win but I thought it was fun. I learned about trees from other countries. I have a Mulberry tree in my pasture. It produces berries-lots of berries. I had never noticed in preceeding years when the tree shedded its leaves. But last year my wife and I were in the garden and noticed the leaves were falling from the Mulberry Tree and they were falling fast. We thought that was strange se we kept checking and in 6 hours the tree was bare of leaves and I mean bare. We watched this year and the same thing happened. I guess thats normal for some trees ? Now when a branch falls off I'm going to save it for pen turning.

George thanks again for making someone like me interested in trees from far away.

Preston

Preston,

Like most fruit trees, Mulberry tree is what is known as "four season trees) which means that they go through a very distinct transformation each 3 months or seasons of the years see here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/365_days_tree.ogg/200px--365_days_tree.ogg.jpg.

In Autumn the leafs start to fall and by Winter beginning, the trees are bare...!

As for saving any falling branches to make pens, that may no work as you thing, as most of branches have no heartwood or enough of it to be of any use to a pen maker however, there are exceptions with some trees but not the Mulberry, I'm afraid.

The heartwood on Mulberry trees is very slow growing so, tale many years for the tree to develop it to any considerable usable size. The main trunk will contain most of the heartwood if the tree is at least 10 years old, its heartwood size will increase as the tree grows in size.

Some of the fascinating things about this wild Mulberry species is that, they are always green so called "ever green trees", this is the very reason why people plant them as privacy screens around fences etc., the problem is that, the species propagates very rapidly messing up a place in no time, as the case of the ones I cut.

They require a lot of maintenance (trimming/pruning) to maintain them under control, this is where people get caught and endup regretting their original decision to use them...!

One other interesting aspect of this wood is that, sapwood is identical on both species but the heartwood have different colourations than the fruiting variety, I was surprised when I started ripping the trunks and see that the green wood was indeed green in colour and as many of timber species I have and work with, the wood that dries from dead wood looses most of its colour sharpness however, I have found that, if I cut the wood green (alive wood) and process it into blank sizes, the colours are a lot better preserved and keep quite vivid from then on.

I have done this in identical type woods and watched very closely for colour variation throughout the years, they have kept the vivid colours in 7 years so I would assume that they will keep like that, always...!

The world of trees is a fascinating one, regardless where you are, I'm sure if you look around you, with the wood hunting eyes, you will see trees that you never noticed before, despite the fact that, they have always been there...!

I'm attaching a couple of pics with both wood samples from both Mulberry species...!

Yeah, "MINI" contest, alright...! I'm surprised that I made it so short, considering my tendency to make long threads/posts, etc...!

Seriously, they are all its needed to have people interested into participate, learning something in the process. They don't have to wait long to get the results and is obvious that people know, I'm good to my promises so, someone always will get something...!

Hunter-27 and keithbyrd, the pleasure was mine, thank you for being a "good sport"...!

To everyone else, thank you, again...!:wink::biggrin:
Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC09932_(1).JPG
    PIC09932_(1).JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 120
  • PIC09929a.jpg
    PIC09929a.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 157
  • PIC09953_(1).JPG
    PIC09953_(1).JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 019m.jpg
    019m.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 022m.jpg
    022m.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 168

steamshovel

I would like to retract something I said. I said I didn't win. Well I did win, I found out things about Mulberry Trees. I thank George for all his time and effort. I feel like I am walking away a winner. I look forward to doing this again.

Happy Holidays everyone

Preston

robutacion

I would like to retract something I said. I said I didn't win. Well I did win, I found out things about Mulberry Trees. I thank George for all his time and effort. I feel like I am walking away a winner. I look forward to doing this again.

Happy Holidays everyone

Preston

Thanks Preston,

It may be a lot of work and effort from out part but, we get kindly rewarded with words like yours, most appreciated...!

If my passion for wood and the way I express it, is an incentive to others, I'm then reaching my objectives in full...!

Cheers
George

keithbyrd

George,
I received the box of Mulberry blanks today! Thank you very much - that is some awesome wood - I am anxious to get in the shop this weekend and find an appropriate pen to make! Again thank you very much!

robutacion

George,
I received the box of Mulberry blanks today! Thank you very much - that is some awesome wood - I am anxious to get in the shop this weekend and find an appropriate pen to make! Again thank you very much!

Hi Keith,

Thanks for letting me know of the parcel's arrival...!

Expect lots of "darkening" as soon as you coat it with something, the green(ish) pops-up, nicely...!

Good luck and make sure we see some pics of them...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom