Today, I feel like a penturner!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

richstick1

Well, I'm still a noob - but made my mom a simple slimline out of BOW a few months ago. Being the proud mom, she shows it to EVERYONE "Look what my son made for me" :D Anyways, she starts selling pens for me, one lady in her office wants one, her hairdresser wants 9, etc. Just slimlines and comforts, nothing fancy, all in BOW. So, here I am, a noob turner in general, have made just a few pens even, and I've got orders. Great. Now I have to get good at this!! Well, mom's pen has a CA finish, but it's got a dull/flat appearance - which turned out nice I think, but it's not that shine that everyone wants with CA. So last night, I start turning the ordered pens. First one gets the CA finish and MM to 12000. What is so hard about this finish? I didn't think it was hard at all, 2 coats of thin, 3-4 coats of medium, MM and it's got a nice even shine - looks GREAT. Then, pen #2, same deal, except I glue two fingers together - but keep right on going. Love it, I'm CAing my pens, glueing body parts together. Today, I feel like a penturner :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

Hi,

Welcome in the part of the body glued togetter club[:D].

Wait until you discover all the body part that might get stuck one to eah other, not counting all the tool, paper and even zipper!(this one i eard of, never happen to me, no, no i would have never done such a stupid thing[;)]

Alfred

leehljp

Member Liaison
Congratulations and dive in head first! Your CA learning curve was much better than mine. Start posting some picts too. If you don't have picts, it never happened. [}:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rich,

Congratulations on your sales! BOW is very oily, which can make it difficult to finish. You might want to try cleaning the blank with acetone just prior to applying the finish. Others hopefully will chime in with suggestions for finishing BOW.

richstick1

Thanks Cav - I've been using DNA to clean the sanding dust off the blanks and between each grade of MM on the CA to remove the excess CA dust. Seems to be working - but maybe I'll try acetone or mineral spirits on the bare wood. Otherwise, it seems to be working well - nice glossy finish [:)] I like turning the BOW - it turns and sands nicely I think - the second pen I turned last night looked like a very blah, plain blank. Turned it down and some great dark highlights popped out, as well as a couple tiny little knots - looks cool. I'll try to post a pic - because, I swear IT DID HAPPEN [:D]

Jamie

Making a pen is a admirable conquest but those few of us who can do it with our fingers glued together achieve penmaking nirvana.
Congratulations!

mb757

Rich, mothers are funny that way, it's great to have a salesman like that on the payrole. I haven't glued any body parts together yet, I've still got that to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom