To shine or not to shine....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

I am working on a camo cigar and was wondering if after sanding and polishing hit the blank with steel wool to dull it a bit. I am planing to use steel wool on the pen parts as well. Black is the finish. I want to have a dull look like the real paint on the military stuff.....Going to try but was wondering if anyone has done this......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
LOL :biggrin:

Here is another thread with the same title about 4 1/2 years ago:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f28/shine-not-shine-32496/

It deals some with the issue that you are asking. But steel wool was not used. You can and others have with success. There is one thing that will happen over time with a well used pen in which the shine has been knocked off - it will develop a patina shine where it is gripped/held.

On my thread, I was attempting to show that a CA shine could be made dull. Why go to that much effort? CA does protect better than a wax finish, but it also looks "plastic" to some who prefer waxed wood. So the best of both worlds is a CA finish with the shine sanded off.

In your case, with a camo finish, a CA finish is not necessary. Do what you are doing and go for it. Flat finish is better sometimes. Just my opinion.

Flaturner

@Lee, you mentioned you would be using the pen regularly to determine how it stood up to wear and tear. How did that turn out?

leehljp

Member Liaison
@Lee, you mentioned you would be using the pen regularly to determine how it stood up to wear and tear. How did that turn out?

I used the pen for a about 3 years off and on (swapping it with another pen that I used regularly) and learned that it developed a shine, more like a sheen where I held it and under the clip - because of slipping it into my shirt pocket. The sheen was more like between a satin and semi-gloss finish and also like the shine on some keyboard keys after a couple of years use. The most used keys on keyboards develop a shine from use. This is what happened to that pen.

I did not disassemble and knock the sheen off but just continued to use it until a several month before moving back to the States. I moved back to the States just over a year ago and have not seen the pen since I returned. It is still in some box packed somewhere.

The pen took some drops and the CA protected it well. By having a flat finish, it did look more wood like. One thing that I will say is that I did not have many people ask about it, but when I had a shiny pen in my hand, people did ask about those. THIS brings up something that large pen sellers have said on this forum for years - Shiny sells, flat don't - except to those who specifically like the pure wood look. That is OK but the numbers are something like 100 to 1. I never had a person comment on the flat one but I did have a few comments on the shiny one.

A caveat on this last comment: In Japan, the culture as a whole values "shiny" to a higher degree than I find in the States. I do realize this is a subjective statement but when I view furniture here in the States vs Japan, there is more of a diversity here. Lacquer like shines are highly valued there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom