TN & Aluminum Jr. Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolftat

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
This is a pen that I always wanted to try, Lee happened to have a set of aluminum blanks and he wasn't using them so he gave them to me. This is a first for me, but far from the last. Thanks Lee. The rest of the pen is a TN Gold Jr. Gent

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
That looks sharp.
I got a few sets of blanks, too. But I haven't done anything yet except try
to fit the kit parts to them. I'll need to do some boring, I guess.

How did you finish them? Some say sand, some say don't. Some say polishing
makes them look like stainless steel. Yours looks good.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Lee is a great guy! You did the blanks well. Great looking pen! I have long wanted to try one. There is something about all of the polished aluminum pens that I have seen (of course yours included) that looks elegant!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
This is my first aluminum pen, so I am just guessing as I go along as to what to do. The way I did it was to turn the blanks using a gouge and then a skew. I followed with every grit of sandpaper in my shop up to 12000mm. I followed that with a 3 step buff and then some Ren. wax. I then removed the scratches I put on with the Ren. wax and went back to the buffer again. I then put it back on the lathe and used Nev-R-Dull as it spun. This seemed to give it a ton of shine. I would have to say that it does look a lot like Stainless, but I think that any metal can if it is polished. I was considering using a Lacquer finish, but the customer was pacing and didn't want to wait for that (impatient but wealthy). My next one will have a Lacquer finish and will have a lot more time in it to get every little scratch. I also want to try a brushed finished on one. Thank you for all the comments, this was a fun pen to turn. I guess I need to turn something very different every now and then.
I would've liked to try powder coating it, but I don't have the setup for coating YET.

Last edited:
Top Bottom