Titanium Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy Vey

Just got done taking pictures of my first Black Titanium Baron in Titanium metal. The combination of the Ti metal with the Black Ti hardware really looks good.
Hope you like it!!
Rudy
SE MI

20052619561_IMG_0411%20resized.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Details! We want details. [:)] Did you start from solid bar or tube? Is it 6Al4V titanium or CP? Are you going to sell it? What do you think it should cost?

If you want to try anodizing some titanium, you can just get a source of around 24 to 26V DC such as some batteries and create a nice blue color. Just put it in a solution of something slightly conductive like water with a little liquid soap.

Craig B

Cool looking pens. With 6aL4v ti knifemakers have been turning out some awesome colors. Takes a variac, tsp cleaner, and lots of experimentation to be consistent. There is even a company making a product called Timascus that is just unbelievable in it's coloring as well as price[:0]

Go to www.knifenetwork.com and go to their forums, or the tutorial pages and there you'll find all kinds of info on it.

Hope this helps!

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />Pretty "sweet" looking Rudy---very nice!!!! How long did it take to make it??

About 5 hours! The problem for me is the drilling of the rod on my small HF 7x10 metal lathe. Turning and the cut-off of the barrels was not so problematic.
Rudy

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Details! We want details. [:)] Did you start from solid bar or tube? Is it 6Al4V titanium or CP? Are you going to sell it? What do you think it should cost?

If you want to try anodizing some titanium, you can just get a source of around 24 to 26V DC such as some batteries and create a nice blue color. Just put it in a solution of something slightly conductive like water with a little liquid soap.

It is made from CP Grade 2 Ti, from solid round bar (0.75"). Yes I will sell it (if I find someone who is willing to pay the price I want, I think somewhere in the $200 area would be fair).
I took me about 5 hours to make, and as I stated earlier the main problem for me is the drilling of the holes, not so much the turning. First I drill a small hole, that I successively open up to the proper diameter. I will look at anodizing in the future.

Rudy

btboone

Rudy, I agree with your pricing. The titanium's a bear to drill, even the softer CP (commercially pure) stuff. It is a blast to anodize. You can actually do some of the lower voltage colors with AC, but they don't look quite as pure as DC. I built my own anodizer with a variac and rectifiers and use TSP (tri sodium phosphate) like craig was referring to. There's a good writeup on the science of it all at www.mrtitanium.com. There are some plans there for an anodizer as well.

I've looked for timascus (a mixture of 6Al4V and cp titanium) but never found a source for 1" bar, which I need for rings. The two grades of ti anodize at slightly different voltages, so you get really nice color stripes. I might take another look with pens in mind. I know Rich has done one. (Or maybe that was the stainless damascus stuff.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom