Tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

As a new guy, I've never turned anything exactly like this before -- These two Cocobolo blanks are either going to make some nice pens or be a nightmare. For what it's worth, those knots aren't loose, they're as solid as the rest of the blank. Any tips before I start turning these?

Coco_1_web.jpg Coco_2_web.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Thanks, guys. I cut these from a block of Cocobolo that I bought in Hardy, AR about 10 years ago and had never used. Ed, these are going to be used on the two Antique Brass Knurl GTs that I just ordered from you. Hopefully they'll turn out as well as I visualize.

WriteON

Thanks, guys. I cut these from a block of Cocobolo that I bought in Hardy, AR about 10 years ago and had never used. Ed, these are going to be used on the two Antique Brass Knurl GTs that I just ordered from you. Hopefully they'll turn out as well as I visualize.

Beautiful pens and wood choice. Take your time. Cocob is in a league of own .it

magpens

Beautiful wood. . I am sure you won't have any problems turning it unless you are allergic to Cocobolo as some people are.

randyrls

Art; The knots should not present any problems.

I will add to what Mal said; Some of the exotic woods are toxic and your sensitivity can get worse with repeated exposure. Use a dust collector or GOOD dust mask to keep your lungs clean. Wash arms and exposed skin afterwards.

Cocobolo makes beautiful pens that will last. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Not an expert but I would suggest to take very light cuts since there are the knots. They should make awesome pens.
I was turning a piece of spalted box alder today and had a piece split off. Fortunately there was enough wood to finish the blank and the pen.

Top Bottom