tips to new starters, metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

graham murfin

Hi
a few days ago i put a use of a video on you tube, it was to help new starters with a metal lathe, i have a series of similar videos.
I think some members with wood lathes thought it was a competion between wood and metal, it was not i have 3 wood lathes which i use regulary and a couple of metal lathes a colchester bantham 14" swing and a 14 x7 mini lathe.
The wood lathes are great and can make great shapes and i love them(nearly more than the wife, or her indoors as commonly known in the uk:frown:)
But when it comes to removing material there is no competition.
One thing i did on the lathe was to turn down all the drill shanks to the same size so loading in the chuck was easy.
graham

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Graham The one reason I would like to live in the UK is the availability of Colchester lathes. they were available over here in the 60s and 70s, but I guess the importer couldn't compete with LeBlond, and Clausing, I believe the first 100 or so pens I turned were done on either a 15 inch Clausing hydra drive or my trusty 920 jet.
I made a steb drive with a straight shank to mount in a 3 jaw but if you have a dead center that fits you headstock, and a live center for either a wood or a metal lathe that's really all you need.

graham murfin

colchester

Graham The one reason I would like to live in the UK is the availability of Colchester lathes. they were available over here in the 60s and 70s, but I guess the importer couldn't compete with LeBlond, and Clausing, I believe the first 100 or so pens I turned were done on either a 15 inch Clausing hydra drive or my trusty 920 jet.
I made a steb drive with a straight shank to mount in a 3 jaw but if you have a dead center that fits you headstock, and a live center for either a wood or a metal lathe that's really all you need.
I think they've gone now but theres loads of machines in good nick to buy
graham

graham murfin

YOU TUBE

Graham, would it be possible to put a link to your you-tube videos?

Hi Roy

i only have the one on at the moment, i have what is known as a geordie accent from north east england so you'll have to listen hard:crying:
Its a very basic series and really for newcomers, but every little learning helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aee1XTgQD1I
graham

Last edited:

ribanett

Graham,
This is the first time I have seen a jam-chuck. I can see where it would come in handy for many projects instead of using a 4 leg chuck. Sure looks like a faster way to center square stock. Thanks for sharing.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Graham
That's a neat way of rounding a blank. Can you re-position the camera to show the tool as it's cutting next time?:redface: Thanks for sharing the info!

BradG

Graham,
This is the first time I have seen a jam-chuck. I can see where it would come in handy for many projects instead of using a 4 leg chuck. Sure looks like a faster way to center square stock. Thanks for sharing.

I second that :)

Top Bottom