Tipoli and White Paste

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know the approximate grits of the tripoi and white paste? I did a search on google and came up empty.
Thanks
Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Tripoli is somewhere close to 2400-3600 MM and the white diamond is somewhere close to 6000 MM if my memory is serving me correctly. I realized early on that sanding to 12000 MM and then using tripoli and white diamond is going backwards. I do hope my reply is accurate and helpful.
I'm confident I will be corrected if my report is erroneous.[:D]

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know the approximate grits of the tripoi and white paste? I did a search on google and came up empty.
Thanks
Gary

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Comparing it to sandpaper grits, Tripoli is Jewelers Rouge and in the 800-1000 grit range. White Diamond will be in the range of 1400-1600 grits. There will be some variation depending on who made it, and the source of the information. Those numbers compare to what Don has given on a Micro-Mesh scale.

Use this link for a comparison chart of trade names to grit sizes. It is an unbiased comparison. Those done by the manufacturers are not.

http://users.ameritech.net/knives/grits.htm

bdar

Hey guys it's been a while for me here, but there is a product I use on my CA finishes called Dilux. It is the finest polishing rouge that jewellers use for polishing gold. After using Tripoli and a pre buffing compound and then the Dilux it comes up like a mirror. Sent a bar to old Griz and he has been using it to polish the barrels of the fountain pens he is restoring. Only thing it is so soft a compound that you end up with red fingers, up side to it you need very little to get a good shine on your finish.
Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom