Tiny clumps / flecks in my polyresin cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

Surprisingly I didn't see a search result for this... so I will presume my google-fu is lacking and proceed! :biggrin: lol

Some time ago I casted with some cheap powder and got considerable flecks of pigments in my polyresin cast. But now I tried again with coastal scents and still ran into the problem. I stirred the heck out of it (I thought) and even used an ultrasonic cleaner. Finally casted under pressure.

Still, I had numerous of these tiny little flecks... They don't seem to be "undissolved"... so I'm wondering, what have I been doing wrong?.... :frown::confused:

Thank you!

Attachments

• del clump.jpg
    del clump.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 302
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VE5MDH

Have you tried your casts without the Ultrasonic unit?

Most people do not have access to an ultrasonic machine, and could the ultrasounds be the cause of maybe breaking down the compounds or even so, could it be the culprit which is clumping the powders together? Could it also be deforming the resin itself???

I have used an Ultrasound Wash in the Air Force (great for cleaning minute particulate in 3 micron filters). I also remember how much damage they can cause on other stuff (experimental baths).

Please, there is no need to jump all over this advice, it is just some thoughts that may or may not be practical in this situation. It has been more than 35 years since I've used the Ultrasound Wash.

Michael

Ed McDonnell

Hi Bobby - Are you using micas, oxides or something else. Some of the coastal materials need a little extra help wetting out before you put them in the resin to avoid clumping. Others need a little different handling depending on what it is.

Ed

79spitfire

It looks like your power is clumping. I've combated this by mixing a small amount of resin with the powder until it's smooth (and my arms are tired) and minimized the spots. Some powders are tough to work with, usually the ones that make the nicest colors....

Ed McDonnell

For things that seem to not want to mix easily, try wetting them with a little styrene instead of resin. It's easier to mix and will more quickly wet out the powder. When you pour the wetted powder into the resin it will blend much easier.

Some oxides and ultramarines will benefit from crushing/grinding with a mortar and pestle (not to be used for food subsequently) before wetting. As a last resort, filtering (or decanting) can get rid of stubborn lumps.

Ed

Top Bottom