Tinting Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spnemo

What is the proper way to add dyes to Alumilite Water Clear?

1. Do I mix first then add color or add color to the resin then mix in the hardener?

2. How much dye should I add? I have both liquid and powder dyes.

3. Anything else I should thing about?

Thanks for the help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

srf1114

Just did my first ones today, so no expert, but it says on the package of the liquid dyes to add it to Part A, before you add the hardener.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
DO NOT add the dye before mixing the 2 components. As a beginner, this is the number one reason for failure. The reason is, Alumilite must be mixed properly and thoroughly in order for it to work properly. When you first pour the 2 components together, they will look cloudy with streaks. Keep mixing until it turns completely clear with no streaks and it is mixed properly. Then add your colorant. If you add your colorant first, you will NOT be able to see when the resin is perfectly mixed and you will be stabbing in the dark. You may get it but you may not.

When Alumilite has an inquiry about pen blank casting that they can not answer, they send the people to me. The #1 reason for failure, by far, is lack of proper mixing. They are actually going to change their directions once they run out of their already printed supply of bottles but for the time being, ignore what they have to say and you will have a 100% success rate!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
As for how much dye, that of course is a personal decision depending on what you want. I transfer my dye to empty CA bottle and use the CA tips. I use one drop of dye per ounce of mixed resin and get great colors. This is using Alumilite dye which is very concentrated so if you are using something else, you will just have to experiment.

spnemo

Another question, if it is not too much trouble: What type of cups do you use for mixing the resin?

srf1114

DO NOT add the dye before mixing the 2 components. As a beginner, this is the number one reason for failure. The reason is, Alumilite must be mixed properly and thoroughly in order for it to work properly. When you first pour the 2 components together, they will look cloudy with streaks. Keep mixing until it turns completely clear with no streaks and it is mixed properly. Then add your colorant. If you add your colorant first, you will NOT be able to see when the resin is perfectly mixed and you will be stabbing in the dark. You may get it but you may not.

When Alumilite has an inquiry about pen blank casting that they can not answer, they send the people to me. The #1 reason for failure, by far, is lack of proper mixing. They are actually going to change their directions once they run out of their already printed supply of bottles but for the time being, ignore what they have to say and you will have a 100% success rate!

See what I get for following directions. Thanks good to know. I haven't turned the two bottle stoppers I made today yet, but I think they turned out ok, I'll follow your wisdom next time though.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Cups don't matter with Alumilite. It will not melt any of the cups I have ever tried it with. I do, however, highly suggest you use some clear plastic cups so you can see the cloudiness and swirls and know better when they are gone.

Top Bottom