Time spent with a 9yr old.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rchan63

Hi Everyone

I just want to post my 9 yr old daugther's pen she made for her teacher. This is her first attempt of turning anything and I was a nervous wreck standing with her. We made this pen a few weeks ago and I'm finally calm again:eek:. After making her tying up her hair and with a full face shield it's time to turn. Did I mention I was nervous??

I gave all the warning about going slow and not taking too large of a bite. Finally I had her pick up the gouge and I took her hands. She was startle at first contact but settle in nicely. After a few passes I let go and she started to make some nice ribbons.

I let her take it down to final size and I finished it with a scraper for her. After she's gives me the OK, I had her sand it down to 1600 grits and use a polish to give it nice shine.

She's very proud of her pen and I am too. I know she doesn't want to part with it, but there's always another pieces of something we can make into a pen. Without further to say.

DSCN1652-1.jpg

DSCN1651-1.jpg

DSCN1650-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
yeah buddy! teaching the future generations early! That is a very nice pen!

GouletPens

Sometime kids are better at stuff like this b/c they don't over think it like we often do. She made a great pen and she should be proud of it!! My first few dozen weren't even that nice! She's gonna have my job soon enough..:eek:

Fred

Great job! Maybe she ought to keep her "first pen" and make a second one for the teacher .... Be sure to tell her that she gets top praises from all the Forum members!!!

Crashmph

I always have my friends make their own pens when the come over and their wives are a nervous wreck thinking that their husbands are about to loose an arm in the lathe. LOL!

Tell your daughter she has done a beautiful job. I wish my first acrylic cam out that nice!

Rchan63

I actually show her this post before sending her off to bed tonight. She got a kick out of it. Dadddy showing off her pen and all the compliments she's getting. Well summer vacation is just about to start and I have lots of scrap wood she can practice on.
Thanks again everyone.

GouletPens

Maybe consider having your daughter make another one and give THAT one to the teacher....let her keep the 'first' for herself. The first one is always the most special.

Top Bottom