Tigroid striation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

I see tigroid striation pen blanks on e-bay. Does anyone know what kind of wood it is? It is not listed under wood names or species. It looks like Olivewood, maybe Zebrawood. Anyone familiar with the wood or seller?

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I see tigroid striation pen blanks on e-bay. Does anyone know what kind of wood it is? It is not listed under wood names or species. It looks like Olivewood, maybe Zebrawood. Anyone familiar with the wood or seller?

Ben

Ben looks like it is coming out of China. It could be Tiger wood or as you say zebra wood. Does not look like olive wood.

If you break down the name it and this is just my opinion is it is stabilized with plastic (oid part) stripes (striation) tiger for tiger wood. :)

www.wagnermeters.com/moisture-meters/wood-info/dramatic-beauty-strength-tigerwood/

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison

Ben

I looked it up on eBay; that is an interesting looking wood.

MRDucks2

I think a lot of wood labeled as Tigerwood is some version of Goncalo Alves, though I have seen zebrawood and I believe it was jatoba also listed as tigerwood. Seems to be pretty loosely used at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

MRDucks2

I think a lot of wood labeled as Tigerwood is some version of Goncalo Alves, though I have seen zebrawood and I believe it was jatoba also listed as tigerwood. Seems to be pretty loosely used at times.

Tiger wood is used with maple as well and usually is fiddleback or quilted maple.

I believe there was also a tiger oak, another figured wood, popular in veneers in the 20's - 50's that has been on some furniture pieces I restored years ago.

Top Bottom