Three Streamlines.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from marcruby

marcruby

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. The pens are pretty enough, but this is mostly intended as a tip of the hat to Ken Ferrell and the Woodchuck II Guilliene.

I own on of his old model woodchucks and, after I had fiddled with it a bit it became a good tool to have around. But for my purposes it wasn't nit-picky perfect. The Guilliene tool addressed on of my biggest issues - the slight curve of the cutter got rid of the problem I had with the end points digging in unexpectedly. This is really my issue, not the tool's -- I'm used to being able to turn and twist a turning tool and it's a tough habit to overcome.

What amazed me first taking it out of the box was that Ken had made drastic improvements in the entire tool. Rounded edges and a re-sloped front. I pulled out the old tool I had modified and was amazed to see that Ken's new tool and my old one were almost twins. His was a lot better finished, though.

It worked exactly as I wanted to, and these three pens are good examples of the clean cut and control that the Woodchuck II has to offer.

The front pens are all of resins from Ed and the Princess. I liked the striped stuff do much that I went back and ordered almost all they had left on their website. The front pen is Blue Candy Stripe and Alternative Ivory. The second pen is Alternate Jade and Emerald Green.

The third pen is BOW - an old blank from Nolan - and some stuff that was sold to me as Rumainian Rosewood. What it really is, I don't know, but it's good when you want to do brown.

About the BOW pen. I decided to try William's method rather than my old tried and true. My conclusion, after 6 coats and a lot of buffing is that the finish coat is to thin to hold up over an oily wood. I got it to a high shine but it never had the depth that I associate with CA.

Well that's it - your comments are welcome,

Marc

Attachments

• 3Streamlines_0001-small.jpg
    3Streamlines_0001-small.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Marc, The acrylics are beautiful, I was wondering how Mr. Young's method would do on oily wood like BOW, I'm really glad you like the Woodchuck, Thanks for the unsolicited testimonial, I finally got a chance to work with my own, I actually own one of my tools, and I love it, Now back to your pens, I take it the tool cut the acrylics well, do the Princess's blanks handle like PR or are they hard and brittle like Acrylester?

marcruby

Ken;

The acrylics vary - the two bodies are imported by the Princess - I don't know if the alt ivory is hers or not. The green band is hers. Both the alt ivory and the striped stuff are a bit chippy - you have to be careful with them, especially at the ends. My natural turning motion on a spindle is 'to the right and over the end and then back over the end and over the other end, etc." This usually results in a chip or two so I stopped coming at the end from off the blank and the problem went away. The jade blank turns like butter, as did the BOW and the green stuff.

Marc

Marc, The acrylics are beautiful, I was wondering how Mr. Young's method would do on oily wood like BOW, I'm really glad you like the Woodchuck, Thanks for the unsolicited testimonial, I finally got a chance to work with my own, I actually own one of my tools, and I love it, Now back to your pens, I take it the tool cut the acrylics well, do the Princess's blanks handle like PR or are they hard and brittle like Acrylester?

talbot

Most attarctive trio of pens Marc! the trims give them a whole new look.
I normally do my streamlines with end caps for contrast not centre bands so I think I'll be using that if you dont mind.
Quality work and visually striking.
regards, Bill

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful pens and I really like the designs at the CB. I sure hated to read that you just about cleared out the blue blanks!

Great work!

Top Bottom