Three New Pens In Leather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mhbeauford

mhbeauford

Three stacked leather pens I recently finished. I have a friend whom does leather work, and she gave me some scraps of various colors. I made a pen for her and she liked it so well she ordered 3 for gifts! Here they are.Boy it takes a lot of CA ans acetone! CA to glue, acetone to clean up.:biggrin:

Attachments

• LeatherPen1.jpg
    LeatherPen1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 290
  • LeatherPen2.jpg
    LeatherPen2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 281
  • LeatherPen3.jpg
    LeatherPen3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 275
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhbeauford

Method: I rip and cross cut the leather on my bandsaw with a 10 tpi blade using a fence and a 1/4 in plywood on the table as a zero clearance plate. Laminate the leather squares two or 3 at a time, depending on pattern using either thin or medium CA. Then laminate the sets again until I have the proper length and pattern. The pieces are thoroughly soaked with CA as they are laminated, which makes the stack pretty hard. I work on a HDPE cutting board and press the pieces together with a small piece of HDPE for a few seconds until the CA set. Sometimes if working fast I clamp the pieces together for a few minutes with some plastic jawed ratchet type grip clamps. Thin CA sets pretty fast and medium a little slower, I have also mixed 1/2 & 1/2 thin and medium. I drill holding in a drilling vise to drill, then flood the inside with thin CA let set a few minutes, spray the inside with accelerator and run the drill through again, skip this last step and some times it will shed pieces while turning. How do I know?! As I turn close to size I flood with thin CA, let set a minute, spray with accelerator and turn to size and finish with 20+ coats of thin CA and polish. Anytime it feels a little soft or doesn't cut clean, I CA flood it again. I cut with a carbide tool, CA and leather is pretty abrasive.

Top Bottom