THreaded vs. Tapered End Caps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Speaking as a user of fountain pens and not necessarily as a turner - - -

I prefer a screw cap. I've had entirely too many unhappy experiences with the pen body coming out of the cap when it was in my pocket. And since I use fountain pens exclusively, each experience has cost me a shirt and a quantum of domestic grief.

I don't care whether the cap can be posted because I never post the cap.

turbowagon

I prefer the look of the non-postable. Smoother lines.

But then you're taking away a choice. It's a tradeoff.

jskeen

Actually, I try really hard to keep at least one of both on hand when turning a new pen. Plenty of times I've turned one and assembled it, and after looking at it, switched. Some pens just look better one way than the other. Now, that being said, I usually start turning with the idea of the nonpostable endcap in mind. That's my personal preference, just because they have smoother lines. But, sometimes if the curve isn't just right, it can look a little off, and switching to the straight lines of the postable cap renders it moot. But when I do nail that smooth transition from barrel to non posting cap, it is sweet!

That being said, I've had a couple of instances where a customer will say "I just love that pen, but you can't put the cap on the end when you're writing with it." Both times having a spare kit on hand with the correct transfer punch and a mallet made me a sale, after a quick trip to the car. (I just don't think that process is something the customer needs to see)

Chasper

I have a personal preference for big non-postable pens for my personal use.

However, my customers seem to prefer postable at about a 25:1 ratio.

turbowagon

Both times having a spare kit on hand with the correct transfer punch and a mallet made me a sale, after a quick trip to the car. (I just don't think that process is something the customer needs to see)

lol.gif
Or hear the inevitable swearing during the process.

jskeen

Both times having a spare kit on hand with the correct transfer punch and a mallet made me a sale, after a quick trip to the car. (I just don't think that process is something the customer needs to see)

lol.gif
Or hear the inevitable swearing during the process.

I don't think I've ever had a big problem taking the butt cap end off. Now the centerband, I've had moments that would make a sailor blush over.

mrcook4570

My preference is neither. I prefer the look and feel of closed end pens. The metal end caps add more weight than I like. However, my customers prefer the threaded version so they can post the caps.

Top Bottom