Thought on 9-11 and Memorial Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Today was 9-11. I spent the better part of the day with friends and family riding my motorcycle and enjoying the freedom that this country is known for, the freedom that many have died for and the freedom that terrorist tried to take away from us ten years ago by replacing it with fear. When we got home we turned on the tv and watched several shows memorializing that tragic day. After watching these shows and reflecting on the events of that day and its impact on those who lost family or were forever changed by being first responders I felt compelled to write this note.

First and very importantly, let me make it very clear that what I am about to say are my thoughts and convictions and I do not impose those thoughts or convictions on anyone else. What I am writing is not directed to anyone on this forum in any shape form or fashion. I just felt the need to express my thoughts.

I had been thinking about making some kind of pen in remembrance on 9-11. I have not done so yet, but still plan to do so. However, previously I had intended to sell that pen and pocket the money just like any other pen I would make. Even though I did not feel like profit was my primary motive, now, I just do not feel like that is the right thing for me to do. I feel that me profiting personally off of that tragic day would be wrong. When I make the pen, I will sell it as a memorial pen but at the very least all profits (sales less kit and blank) will be donated to some kind of charity and possibly all of the sales price will be donated.

Again, please keep in mind this is what I feel is right for me. I do mean to cast any kind of shadow on anyone who has a made pen and sold it. I do not mean to make anyone "feel bad". I just needed to express my feelings. Obviously, I hope there are others who feel the same, but if they don't that it is fine. No judgements are made by me.

The reason I suddenly came to this conclusion was in watching interviews with families who were moms and dads, children who never knew a parent and even more so, interviews with first responders from that day. I guess I just realized the impact this had on those people. Naturally, I (thought) I knew about all those impacted. And, of course I knew how it has affected our country in so many respects. I knew it changed the world forever. But, I guess I just did not realize how much it impacted those who lost loved ones, lost peace and lost hope.

Oddly. before tonight I thought I had been overly sensitive to the events of that day. The images stick with me like they do so many others. It has always bothered me that it seems like the country as a whole has pushed that event into the background and seemingly forgotten or at the least minimalized that tragedy. I would get aggrevated when I would hear some say the images should not be published or displayed. I felt like they needed to be kept in front of us. We cannot forget. Just like pictures form the holocost remind us of the evil of that day, the pictures from 9-11 need to be a constant reminder of the evil of that day.

There was one fireman from that date that was interviewed recently. He had quit the fire department and moved out of NY. The trauma of that day cost him his marriage. He has trouble functioning on a day to day basis. Every thing he sees reminds him of the tragedy. It has taken over his life. He is trying but finding it very difficult. I am sure he is not alone.
I will never be able to pocket a penny off of 9-11 because I will now always remember his story, or the stories of children who never knew their dad, or the wives who lost their husband. I believe memorial pens should be made. We need to honor those who died or were affected. We need to actively remember that day. As a side note I also feel the same way about MIA-POW items, cancer "ribbon" pens and similar items. If I make those items (and I have) and sell those items (and I have) then the profits will be donated (already done).

I am sorry that this has rambled on for so long. I guess many will not take the time to read it. If you did, then thanks. You do not have to agree with me. It doesn't make me right and you wrong. That's part of what this is all about, your freedom to your beliefs and your right to act on those beliefs as you see fit. We shoud not think less of each other for having different opinions and beliefs. I assure you that I don't.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

Thanks Gary,
To date, mine are the only pens related to 9/11 that I have seen. It doesn't mean others aren't out there. I have given others info on how I created my pens. I have been using my second one today at work as way to keep focus of the reality. After watching a set of news casts from that morning, I would have to agree completely. The sales of all of my pens are going to bring two kids home out of poverty. I feel this is a way to honor our heros and those who are living with the horrors of that day 10 years ago.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. If you are interested or if anyone is interested, I have a few Hero stamps left which I am willing to share for future pens.

Last edited:

kovalcik

Over the weekend it really struck me as to how many different ways people were compelled to remember the day and honor the victims. Some gathered in parks or churches, others road motorcycles across the state. Artists of all kinds created works that were fed by their experience and emotions. While some forms of these memorials may have left me scratching my head, I cannot deny that all are from the heart and reflect that person's deepest thoughts and feelings. I cannot think of any other event that has touched so many so deeply.

Atherton Pens

Well said. I think each of us (not just pen turners!) must remember the events of 9-11 and reflect upon how that day changed our lives and the world. I also think it is appropriate to have reminders of the day. Many people like to have a special item and yes someone usually profits from the sell unless the item(s) are given as gifts from the maker. Regardless, I think everyone must come to their own conclusion as to the motive and end result of the sell/gift.
Eric's pen is beautiful and someone purchased it not caring where the proceeds go, but just to have a special item as a reminder to them. Eric is using the money for his own special project which IMHO is a just as worthy.
As long as we all continue to remember the sacrifices of 9-11-2001 and each and every volunteer of our armed forces, first responders and all Americans and allies who continue to fight for and defend freedom against it's enemies (foreign and domestic), we will win the battle and the war. Just my opinions.

glycerine

Thanks for sharing. Everyone is affected by tragedy in their own way. Everyone sees things from a different perspective and grieves in different ways, so thanks for your own personal thoughts...

G1Pens

Thanks Gary,
The sales of all of my pens are going to bring two kids home out of poverty. I feel this is a way to honor our heros and those who are living with the horrors of that day 10 years ago.

I think that is a great use of the monies received. I was an adopted child, so I have a special affinity for adoptions and adopted children. Bringing any child into your home and providing the love and care that they so desparately need is a calling as noble as that of any on this earth. I applaud you for doing what you do.

pfde4

Gary,

Thank you for your thoughts, I only turn pens for the troops (only selling to family and friends to fund more turning). Everyone was united for a short time after 9/11 that goes away quickly, and only rears up upon the anniversary dates, sadly to say. During the past months the Police and Fire has been the villain for pensions draining their budgets, yesterday we were everyone's hero we were brought food people buying coffee etc. we could do no wrong we were the best. Today back to villains. The Soldiers that lay their lives on the line every day get the same treatment, heroes one minute killers the next. If only one way would hold true every day. We are no different people than we were on 9/10/2001, than we were yesterday 10 years 1 day later, but that gets forgotten. There is no reason the unity shared yesterday cannot last. Whenever I see a soldier I go out of my way to thank them for their service they are the reason that we can do what we do. Everything I make is geared to Police/Fire/Military if I sell anything profits are off to the "Wounded Warrior Fund". My way of saying thanks.

Thanks to all that support a cause.

sbell111

I take exception to your post.

I don't believe that there are many who view our soldiers as 'killers'. I haven't felt that sentiment, at all. From what I can tell, most people are firmly behind our soldiers. Frankly, I am somewhat insulted by you 'killer' comment both as a private citizen and a former member of our military.

Police are a completely different issue. For the most part, we all support the efforts of our LEOs. However, there are way too many examples of bad acts perpetrated by individual police officers and groups of them to allow for blind loyalty or even full trust, sadly.

G1Pens

.......I don't believe that there are many who view our soldiers as 'killers'......

I think James was trying to express that the overall population does not view the war the same way they did immediately following 9-11. However I believe most population supports our troups and soldiers regardless of how they feel about the vailidity of the war. BUT....go to the funeral of a slain soldier and see how many protesters attend....many calling that soldier a dog and a killer. Saying he deserved what he got. It happens all to frequently. The US Supreme Court has even ruled that it was their right to do so. That is what a group of motorcyslist know as Patriot Guard are at almost every funeral. There sole purpose is to block the grieving families from having to view this bile display.

My point is, you may take exception to what James posted. He was not saying he believed out soldiers were killers, but that many view our soldiers as killers, and whether you want to admit it or not. He is right. I have seen it and heard it !!

LET'S NOT TURN THIS INTO AN ARGUMENT THOUGH. WE DON'T NEED TO ATTACK EACH OTHER OVER IT. MY POST WAS MEANT TO BE A FREE EXPRESSION OF MY FEELINGS. ANYONE WHO POSTED AFTER ME IS EXPRESSING THEIR OPINIONS AND BELIEFS. WE DON'T HAVE TO ALWAYS POST A REBUTTAL. READ THE POSTS AND LET IT BE.

Last edited:

pfde4

Steve,
You may take exception to whatever you like. That is what our boys and girls are serving for, to protect those rights. As part of our Departments Honor Guard I attend a LOT of funerals. It is a sad event only to have protesters trying to disrupt the event, for which our soldiers protect their rights also. They hold signs that say "KILLERS" "GLAD YOU ARE DEAD" "GOD IS PUNNISHING YOU" "YOU DESERVED TO DIE". Gary mentioned the Patriot Guard is there to support the families of the soldiers to shield them from the protest. They volunteer their services; they show up in numbers, I have yet to go to one that they did not attend. Do not be insulted. It is a fact of life that these people exist. I commend you for your service to this country, as I do to every service member I see. I go out of my way to thank them for their service. This is how I got into pen turning, for the troops. The only pens I sell are to further supply my support of them. I too served in the military (USN) along with a long line of my family including one KIA. My son currently serving (Army don't know where he went bad, must be his mother's side LOL) deployment in 2012. Be clear I did not call them killers but other people do sad FACT. The 9/11 ceremonies are for all soles lost on that tragic day including first responders. Hero's for the day (longer, yes but you get the point). I thought I was clear on my point but I guess not…..

I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND THE PEOPLE THAT PROTECT MY FREEDOMS!!!!!

Jim

Top Bottom