Thomas Jefferson Desk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bill Sampson

Bill Sampson

I was intrigued by a recent post here showing a scrolled copy of the Declaration of Independence by a gentleman from Florida.

I had just completed an exact replica of Jefferson's lapdesk upon which the Declaration was penned. The original of this desk, built by Benjamin Randolph as designed by Jefferson, remains a significant item in the Smithsonian today.

Here are a few pictures; thought you might be interested.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Attachments

• DSCF0228.jpg
    DSCF0228.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 503
  • DSCF0229.jpg
    DSCF0229.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 689
  • DSCF0230.jpg
    DSCF0230.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 739
  • DSCF0231.jpg
    DSCF0231.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 471
  • DSCF0233.jpg
    DSCF0233.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 551
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
That is excellent! And looking at some of the pics I could find of the original, looks like you did a beautiful job of the reproduction....

Whats your plan for it (if you don't mind me asking).. This would make a wicked centerpiece for a pen display.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beautiful wood, great finish and superb detail.

Only question: Wasn't there a small drawer on the bottom---for Tom's laptop???

ToddMR

I love history so I had to see this. I think you did a great job. That is really cool. I am not sure if I would have the eye for details to make a piece like that let alone the skills.

Bill Sampson

Jefferson Desk

Dean,
"What's my plan for the desk?" Good question; I am going to give it to someone, but haven't decided to whom. I want it to go to a friend that appreciates the history of Jefferson's 50 year use of the desk.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

alphageek

Former Moderator
Dean,
"What's my plan for the desk?" Good question; I am going to give it to someone, but haven't decided to whom. I want it to go to a friend that appreciates the history of Jefferson's 50 year use of the desk.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Wanna be my friend? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Very nice. Good luck finding someone who deserves it.

Bill Sampson

Jefferson Desk

Frank,
Thank you and all who commented on the desk. I turn a lot of pen blanks, but also really enjoy building period 18th century furniture. This is my third Jefferson desk; the first one is personal and the second one was given to a close friend at retirement.
I took many pictures of the original desk at the Smithsonian and purchased a full set of plans from Lon Schleining, who is in San Clemente, CA. His web site is woodbender.com and the plans are still available. ( I purchased them several years ago) He can be contacted at lon@woodbender.com.
While my box is dimentionally correct, I did take some liberty with the secondary wood on the drawer and stringing by using tiger maple. The lock and brass was purchased from an antique brass shop in Richmond four years ago and no longer in business. Parts for another will be a challange. I guess this answers your question about sharing the plans. You will enjoy the challange.
Bill Sampson, Richmond

Top Bottom